Trackback on 78s

On my 76cx I could use trackback to find out where I was at different times and find out where I was. Can I do that on the 78s.

Trackback only sends me back to my car with a compass line not turn by turn on how I got up the trail and avoided all the crevasses and cliffs. So how does this work?

It should work fine as long as you had the tracklog enabled. You use Find > Tracks > Current Track > Tracback.

Yes that is correct. I should have expessed myself better. If I want to trackback to a specific point on the tracback, say to the cliff 2 miles away on my 5 mile track. Trackback points to me with a compass bearing, not turn by turn on the trackback with distance to that cliff from each turn. I want to get there turn by turn similar to "on the road" trackback.

Any ideas?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but,I'm thinking that trackback should take you back along the original track unless you specify those specific cliffs and select them to "Go To".

Also something you might want to play with to see if it's something along the lines of what you want, is using one of the "data fields" called "Distance to Next". Another is Dist to Destination which should be the orig start point of the track.

Also manually place a waypoint on the track path at/near the cliffs (but don't "select" it to go to)and at some point on the return trip , it should show up in the Dist to Next data field. Nearby waypoints in your unit will show up there ( Dist T N) automatically. (while navigating)

I don't know that you will get actual turn by turn directions but the "Bearing Pointer" (another data field choice) will predict upcoming turns a short distance ahead of time.(while navigating with Trackback)

Edited by Grasscatcher

On the new units if you want to navigate to a track you need to break the track at the end point of the track (you can do this by clearing the odometer, changing profiles, or you can create a separate track using the stopwatch). Once you are ready to track back goto Track Manager > Current Track > Save Portion and select the segment of track (which is probably the most recent) and save it is a track. Then you can navigate to track by going to WhereTo?> Tracks

Tracbac will also work as long as you clear your tracklog at the end point of your track, otherwise you get a track back to the end of your current track which could be very long.