Friends

Onslow Fisherman

In case you're wondering, it doesn't do a whole lot. Mezgrman pretty much summed up what it does. Maybe it'll do more in the future. Probably not.

We'll see. Last February, Jeremy stated that Groundspeak was late in getting into the social aspect of location based games "but our first application on the iPhone (and soon Android) has definitely made us aware how powerful the network can be. Expect some interesting things from Geocaching.com this year."

We'll see. Last February, Jeremy stated that Groundspeak was late in getting into the social aspect of location based games "but our first application on the iPhone (and soon Android) has definitely made us aware how powerful the network can be. Expect some interesting things from Geocaching.com this year."

Well, we got "Like this cache"... doesn't make use of the Friends feature though.

The problem with enhacing the "Friends" feature now is that you will let someone access to more information about you than you were anticipating when you accepted the friends request. Sounds like recipe for a, erm, storm of solid body waste products like what Facebook is going through.

.The problem with enhacing the "Friends" feature now is that you will let someone access to more information about you than you were anticipating when you accepted the friends request. Sounds like recipe for a, erm, storm of solid body waste products like what Facebook is going through.

The fact that gc has sat on this feature for years shouldn't be an excuse for any unexpected features. In the beginning, gc stated that they were going to develop this feature, and it should come as no surprise, if and when they ever do.

As a side note, I am NOT excusing gc for taking so long to develop this, that's just poor planning and poor setting of priorities.

Also the fact that they have set on it for years should be no excuse for further development, as your post infers.

Also the fact that they have set on it for years should be no excuse for further development, as your post infers.

I'm having problem parsing that sentence, but I think I know what you mean :yikes:

I'm merely pointing out major privacy concerns if they enhance the friends functionality. I certainly do not have any insights into the minds of the business folks at Groundspeak. You're right, of course. That alone is not a good excuse to stop further development. They might develop more functionality. If they do so, I hope they'll have 2 different levels of friends, the present one (grandfathered in) and the new one.