Just getting started

defoe333

Hello All-

My girlfriend and i are just learning about geocaching. We are planning on starting this weekend, but had a couple questions.

We were fortunate enough to borrow a gps for the weekend, but wondered about the iphone app. can you get by with just using the iPhone app? Or is it wise to have a handheld?

Any recomendations? we are going to try a few local ones on sunday. Any advice woudl be appreciated.

Thansk,

Gregg

Gregg,

I used the iPhone app when I started geocaching a few months ago. I think it's pretty nice, and you can certainly start with it. Really easy to use, and it's pretty full featured. Plus, no need to transfer files or anything like that, it's all right on the iPhone.

However, I ended up purchasing an Explorist GC because of these negatives about the iPhone (not necessarily the app)

- Relatively short battery life. (If you plan on caching all day, take some kind of battery backup with you)

- A Dedicated GPSr has better accuracy. (I didn't find the iPhone to be too bad, but it doesn't compare to a dedicated unit)

- Poor updating when you out of cell phone coverage areas.

So if you're staying in urban/suburban areas and have enough battery power, I think the iPhone is fine.

Eric.

Gregg,

I used the iPhone app when I started geocaching a few months ago. I think it's pretty nice, and you can certainly start with it. Really easy to use, and it's pretty full featured. Plus, no need to transfer files or anything like that, it's all right on the iPhone.

However, I ended up purchasing an Explorist GC because of these negatives about the iPhone (not necessarily the app)

- Relatively short battery life. (If you plan on caching all day, take some kind of battery backup with you)

- A Dedicated GPSr has better accuracy. (I didn't find the iPhone to be too bad, but it doesn't compare to a dedicated unit)

- Poor updating when you out of cell phone coverage areas.

So if you're staying in urban/suburban areas and have enough battery power, I think the iPhone is fine.

Eric.

Thanks Eric- that makes sense. I appreciate the info.

Edited by defoe333

Most of the time, I use my phone (a Nexus One, not an iPhone) for geocaching. The main times I use my handheld GPSr are when the terrain is difficult enough that I don't want to carry my phone in my hand as I hike, and when I don't want to drain my phone's battery by running the GPS antenna (e.g., a long day caching, or a little caching on a long trip when I can't charge the phone easily). In those cases, I load the coordinates into my handheld GPSr, and use the phone just for paperless access to cache data, and for posting field notes.

Hello glad to have you with us. Hope you guys enjoy the hunt. when I first started caching I met a young lady in the woods and she was hunting with her Iphone for the same cache I had just found. Her phone told her she was right on top of it be she was actually .2 miles away. Since that experience I haven't thought too much about phone caching. a servicable GPSr is pretty cheap.

Thansk for teh info. We went out yesterday, FOUND OUR FIRST CACHE!- and had both handhelp adn iphone. I can see how usefull the GPS is. As soon as i figurer out how to use it better. My phone was basically dead after an hour, so i can see where that woudl be an issue.

Thansk Again. I look forward to caching a lot more!

Thansk for teh info. We went out yesterday, FOUND OUR FIRST CACHE!- and had both handhelp adn iphone. I can see how usefull the GPS is. As soon as i figurer out how to use it better. My phone was basically dead after an hour, so i can see where that woudl be an issue.

Thansk Again. I look forward to caching a lot more!

And don't forget to log it online!

Welcome to the wonderful world of geocaching.

I have a dedicated GPSr and an iPhone, and I find that within the city here (Calgary, AB) my iPhone usually gets me within 10m of the cache, but I also find it very reliably places me about 5m from where my GPSr places me. Sometimes it is closer but 2/3 of the time or better my GPSr is closer.

If you are looking for smalls/regulars or bigger with good hints then you can probably get by with the iPhone for a while, but once you start looking for micros or nanos and the hints get less useful, you will find a dedicated GPSr pays off.

I"ve not used an iphone, I can't help you there.

Make sure you start looking for low difficulty caches that are small sized or larger. Stay away from micros if at all possible for your first few until you get an idea of what to look for.

Don't get discouraged if you can't find a cache; even the veterans DNF caches on a semi-regular basis. It's not a mark of shame, don't let it get to you.

Feel free to ask questions, try to attend local events to meet other local cachers, and most of all have a ton of fun. Welcome.

Hello All-

My girlfriend and i are just learning about geocaching. We are planning on starting this weekend, but had a couple questions.

We were fortunate enough to borrow a gps for the weekend, but wondered about the iphone app. can you get by with just using the iPhone app? Or is it wise to have a handheld?

Any recomendations? we are going to try a few local ones on sunday. Any advice woudl be appreciated.

Thansk,

Gregg

I recommend getting a unit such as the Garmin Venture HC; they are very low in prices and are very accurate.

I know the feeling. My family has just gotten into Geocaching in the last few weeks as well. We were on holidays, and some relatives introduced us to Geocaching. I thought it was cool, but didn't think there would be any near where I lived (Since I didn't hear of it before). To my suprise, I went on the website, put in my address, and noticed I had on 80m from my house, and had over the 500 cache limit looking at the city I live in :P.

My word of advice. When we first started, we were using a cheap Garmin, and an expensive Garmin. We are caching in an open park, and both worked well at getting us to our goal. When I got home, I went and purchased the cheap GPSr we were using on our vacation. Once you get looking for a few caches in a wooded area, having a GPSr with an electronic compass would be REALLY handy. For the cheaper ones without the Electronic compass, you have to keep moving in order to find which direction to go. In deep brush, I find I have to keep turning backwards and then walking a few steps towards where I think it is to get the direction pointed out to me where it is located.