My idea for a themed cache

Vexidus

I've been into geocaching for years now, although I just recently purchased my first gpsr. Prior to this, I've just been tagging along with others. Now that I'm seriously invested in the hobby, I'd like to start contributing to it as well!

I have this idea for a cache, but I'm not sure if it's acceptable or not.

The cache would be a "favourite songs" cache. In preparation of visiting the cache, you would burn a cd-r with your favourite music songs on it, label it with your geocaching name, perhaps what genre(s), and an optional message on the disc itself. When arriving at the cache, you would then select a person's cd to take in exchange of your own, and listen to it in the car or wherever.

I personally love this idea, and I would be thrilled to start a cache like this. I would seed it with discs from several other cachers I know, and also supply general traders for the people finding it on a whim without preparing a disc.

I'm wondering about the legality of something like this. Nobody would be making a profit from the discs, or anything like that.

I don't see any harm in this, but I'd like some other opinions!

Sounds like a great idea! I think the people who take the time to prepare for this will really enjoy it. Be ready to accept the fact though that many will NOT come prepared and there is little you can do about that. Many people don't take the time to read the full description before they head out or even at all. It may be a good idea to put in a LOT of CD's in the beginning and hope that word of mouth advertising brings you some cachers with their own CD's to trade.

Sounds good. I like the idea of themed caches, it makes finders think a little bit harder about their trades and keeps the inventory quality up.

Local to my area in the UK there are a few themed caches, this kind of thing;

http://coord.info/GCQWDA

http://coord.info/GCR64M

http://coord.info/GCR8F9

Ok, you're planning something a little different that'll require finders to do some prep but even so I think its great - It'll be interesting to see how long your FTFer spends on their contribution though !!!!

Best of luck with it.

Nothing wrong with it. But be prepared for a lot of cachers not doing it. Some may be afraid of a virus on a CD they pick up, most will not have a CD on them, and some will trade a CD for something less valuable. I like the idea and hope it works.

Being that songs are copyrighted, burning and sharing songs would be illegal, at least in the US. I'm not up on Canadian copyright laws but I suspect they aren't all that different than the US laws.

If burning and sharing copyrighted material is against Canadian law, your reviewer will probably not publish a cache with such a theme.

Being that songs are copyrighted, burning and sharing songs would be illegal, at least in the US. I'm not up on Canadian copyright laws but I suspect they aren't all that different than the US laws.

If burning and sharing copyrighted material is against Canadian law, your reviewer will probably not publish a cache with such a theme.

it is illegal in Canada too, unless is for "personal use"

Canada has a relatively unique provision in the Copyright Act, at s. 80, which provides:

80. (1) Subject to subsection (2), the act of reproducing all or any substantial part of

(a) a musical work embodied in a sound recording,

(b.) a performer's performance of a musical work embodied in a sound recording, or(br> © a sound recording in which a musical work, or a performer's performance of a musical work, is embodied

onto an audio recording medium for the private use of the person who makes the copy does not constitute an infringement of the copyright in the musical work, the performer's performance or the sound recording.

The key words here are "for the private use of the person who makes the copy". This means that you may make a copy of any sound recording and use it yourself. You may copy a friend's cd, or you may download music, and listen to it yourself. All of these activities are exempted from infringement.

In contrast, the following activites are not exempted by s. 80. You may not copy a cd or rip an mp3 and give it to anyone else. You may not send an mp3 to a friend over the net, because a copy is made in that process. You may not file share (or upload) over the internet without infringing. This last infringement is due to the nature of p2p file-sharing.

the only way i see to still make this cache, is to use original CD's

It is a good idea, using ORIGINAL (not burned or copied) CDs. Add to that, books on CD -- when traveling, we always take a book along. Far better than commercial radio today, even Sirius/XM.

As others have said though, not very many will be prepared for trading. I fear you will spend much in keeping the cache adequately stocked. :laughing:

I've gone to several book trading caches. I see little difference with your idea if you were to ask for gently used CDs. Use the name of the cache to help cachers know what to expect. "Music Trader cache", for instance, would give a heads up. Garage sales would be a good place to pick up some seed CDs and others for restocking the cache.