GPS Unit for BOTH Vehicle Travel AND Terrain?

To continue, I was originally looking to buy a nice street navigation GPS unit, such as the Garmin nuvi 1450T, which is fairly highly rated, but then I see these cool ones that have actual terrain maps. Are there any that do both well? I'd rather not have one that only has major roads, as many of the terrain models have.

Charlie

To continue, I was originally looking to buy a nice street navigation GPS unit, such as the Garmin nuvi 1450T, which is fairly highly rated, but then I see these cool ones that have actual terrain maps. Are there any that do both well? I'd rather not have one that only has major roads, as many of the terrain models have.
Charlie,

Any of the Nuvi's can display Topo maps (see below, Nuvi 205W), but all of them have compromises for field use, mainly sunlight visibility and battery life.

SpoutLake.gif

As the others have posted, unfortunately there is NOTHING out there that does both fantastic vehicle navigation AND fantastic off road hiking navigation (usually b/c it is not waterproof, shockproof, etc). The closest thing is probably a Nuvi 500 (unless it's been replaced with a newer model?) which is kind of a beefed up nuvi.

Your best choice is to grab a $100 nuvi for road use and a handheld of your choice for offroad.

Edited by hoyshnin

Yes "combo devices" are always a compromise. But if you insist on having just one, you should add to your considerations the Lowrance Endura Sierra & Safari models. They are the ONLY rugged handheld GPSr's on that market that also are able to give spoken turn-by-turn car navigation, as well as having excellent Geocaching features.

Do you mean like this?:

GPS Passion preview: LINK

Here are a few screenshots from the nüvi 3790, since a picture is worth a thousand words. Being able to rotate the display between landscape and portrait orientation is fantastic. With the high quality 3d rendering, portrait mode really lets you see a lot of the road ahead!

These are from City Navigator. I have reduced the size from the native 800x480 to fit the forum, and also give a better idea of the physical screen size.

cn04.jpg

cn05.jpg

These are from the "New Jersey Topo" by Maps4gps - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

nj01.jpg

nj02.jpg

And from "Boyd's Map of New Jersey/GS Edition" - http://www.gpsfiledepot.com/maps/view/294/

boyd08.jpg

boyd10.jpg

Or are you looking for a handheld???