What do do about cache near active turkey nest?

As the cache owner I would like to put my 2 cents in. For one the cache is a quick grab at the base of a spot sign. Hence the name STOPSPOTS. Being a hunter myself I do care that the turkeys have a chance to grow and become a tasty meal for someone. But since the nest is 150 feet away I am not gonna disable it, cars, trucks, and semis all drive withen 150 feet of the nest. The turkey should have known this when he built the nest... Also anywhere in the description I didn't give permission to trespass on private property to go looking for this cache or a nest. I know it is just a vacant lot on the edge of businesses, but someone does own it and I didn't give permission to hunt in this area.

Edited by RJ McKenzie

As the cache owner I would like to put my 2 cents in. For one the cache is a quick grab at the base of a spot sign. Hence the name STOPSPOTS. Being a hunter myself I do care that the turkeys have a chance to grow and become a tasty meal for someone. But since the nest is 150 feet away I am not gonna disable it, cars, trucks, and semis all drive withen 150 feet of the nest. The turkey should have known this when he built the nest... Also anywhere in the description I didn't give permission to trespass on private property to go looking for this cache or a nest. I know it is just a vacant lot on the edge of businesses, but someone does own it and I didn't give permission to hunt in this area.

May be worth adding a "No need to Tresspass on Vacent Lot" note on the cache page.

Turkeys are one of the things I miss from Iowa. When I did my student teaching I'd drive through the Des Moines River Valley west of Boone every morning and see anywhere from 25 to 45 turkeys in a field.

My thoughts on the cache: temp disable until November, then re-enable with a note that the turkey is swag.

Edited by bramasoleiowa

I know it is just a vacant lot on the edge of businesses, but someone does own it and I didn't give permission to hunt in this area.

Huh. I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

I think he meant, "Just because it (the land near the cache) looks like a vacant lot does not mean that its OK for geocachers to go onto it. It does belong to somebody and that somebody did not give permission for you to go onto it."

I know it is just a vacant lot on the edge of businesses, but someone does own it and I didn't give permission to hunt in this area.

Huh. I'm not really sure what you mean by that.

I think he meant, "Just because it (the land near the cache) looks like a vacant lot does not mean that its OK for geocachers to go onto it. It does belong to somebody and that somebody did not give permission for you to go onto it."

That would make sense. Probably a good thing to put on the cache page- "don't approach the cache site by passing through the business next door" or some such.