Culvert numbers?

xargs

I often come across datasheets that say a benchmark is located "in the top of culvert 924.9" or something similar. I've never been able to find one of these numbers on a culvert. Is there a "standard" place where these are put, or do they only exist on a piece of paper?

I've often seen numbers on structures as small as very modest bridges, but never, to my recollection, on a culvert. On bridges, it seems to vary by state or county, and by age. Sometimes it's stencil-painted on, sometimes stamped into a plaque (this technique seems to have long gone out of favor), and sometimes by small signs that look like they were done in the highway department sign shop. Agencies responsible for maintaining such structures probably have corresponding identification on their own maps and documents. I believe I've also seen structure numbering follow highway mileage, although in your example I suspect that is not the case.

It hard to know exactly what there were referring to. Often along RR's it would pertain to the mile point. RR often have/had mile maker signs for location determination.

Along highways if often refers to the highways plans where the culvert is shown for construction etc. Very often these are not on the structure, although in Michigan there were marker in the old days with a station such as 1420+25. But it differed in other locations. Its basically a way to inventory the culvert etc.

I agree with ElCamino. The numbers that are found on culverts, bridges, overpasses and undercrossings, etc. are used for identification and inventory purposes.

There IS a standard place for them: they can usually be found on the construction plans for the road they cross, and are usually indexed by the agency that has jurisdiction of maintenence of the road. (IE. a crossing on a County road would be indexed by the County, and a crossing on a State road would be indexed by the State.)

Some crossings have more than one designation and can be indexed by more than one agency. The numbering systems vary from agency to agency, but many times there are similarities, and sometimes the numbering systems from neighboring agencies do coincide with each other.

Keep on Caching!

- Kewaneh

The ones I have seen here are a metal tag with #'s stamped and riveted in the inner top of the culvert,These being the metal ones,the other type culvert is Marked FORD on maps and usually has a chisled square on top.

These were control for the surveys here.Used to mark water crossing.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN*

**1803-2003** "LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/

Initial Points Page

http://www.True-Meridiansubscribe@yahoogroups.com