can't find caches with magellan explorist gc

monpapillon

Hello everyone! I am getting frustrated as I'm trying to figure out my new gps. I've gone out several times now to geocache with my kids but can't seem to figure out how to use the gps properly. I've noticed that not many others seem to have this problem lol. I'm not sure if info is missing from the gps manual or if it's the dunderhead using it :mad: I admit that I don't really know how to use a compass efficiently which seems to make using the electronic one a bit challenging lol. That is so embarrassing to admit on a public forum where others seem to get it easily lol. Oh well. Despite the frustration we have spent 2 excursions hiking on beautiful trails for 45 mins each :(

I really want to learn and educate myself as well as get my kids hooked on this wonderful activity but I'm not sure how to educate myself properly. I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

monpapillon

Is the unit set to the correct settings for Geocaching?

WGS-84 and HDD(D)° MM.MMM Datum and Format.

What Difficulty/Terrain/Size caches are you looking for?

(You are looking for a Traditional, which IS at the co-ordinates at the top of the page -and not a Multi or Puzzle, which can be up to 2 miles away from the co-ordinates at the top of the page?!)

Perhaps a little change in your thought direction may be in order...

Most likely it is not the fault of the GPSr, it is probably what you are expecting it to do for you.

It will only put you in the area of the cache, it will not put you atop the cache nor will it show it to you.

Ground Zero (that area it takes you to) should be normally considered as a 20 ft (9 m) circle -- it could also be larger. It's up to you to find the cache in that area.

As much as you show no finds whatsoever, and do not say what types/sizes of caches you have searched for, we can only suggest that you avoid micros for the time being, and search out small to larger caches. This will allow you to note just what your GPSr will/won't do.

Caches can be hidden or disguised in a multitude of different fashions. It is still up to you to "find" it. ;)

One other note: When the GPSr says that you have "arrived" at the site, don't pay too much further attention to it -- your attention should now be directed at finding the cache, not looking at the GPSr.

Thank you for your prompt replies. I'm not sure if the unit is set properly to be honest with you. I'm seem to be having difficulties trying to figure out what coordinates I'm at when I'm using it.

I know that it's up to me to find the cache once the unit says I've arrived; however, I haven't been able to get to the point of it saying I've arrived. I've been looking for easy ones 1 / 1.5 difficulty with light terrain (at least I think it was light).

I will pour over the unit's manual a bit and see if that helps things improve. In the meantime I appreciate any advice.

Thanks everyone!

monpapillon

I'm seem to be having difficulties trying to figure out what coordinates I'm at when I'm using it.

It really should already be set correct -- that unit is made specifically for geocaching.

BUT... just to make sure:

Press Menu->view->Settings->Navigation

Where it says Map Datum, make sure WGS84 is selected.

Assure that the format is set to DD MM.mmm (three decimals).

Good Luck. ;)

I used a Magellan Explorist 500 for years and really liked it. However, it has one "quirk" that you should be aware of - it's very easy to out-walk the signal so that you end up with a boomerang effect. You end up going past the cache and then need to backtrack. I used to stop at about 200' from the cache and let the unit catch up. Since I mostly cache by myself, this works fine - not so much, though, if you're caching with others.

Good luck.

I have a GC myself, and have used it about a month so far. Mine doesn't necessarily tell me "I'm there"...but it will tell me how far I am from the coordinates (within its accuracy range, anyway).

I have my map set with the orientation to "North Up", and I use the map only if I am driving and need a road near a cache in an area I'm not familiar with. If I am on foot looking, I use the dashboard screen--and the dashboard is customizable too, so you can fix it so you have the information YOU like to have on that screen.

If there is a specific question you have, I can try to help, as I have a pretty good handle on using mine now. There is also a forum (not on this site) set up specifically for GC users.

It is a great little machine ;) I hope you learn to use it well, so you can enjoy the benefits of paperless geocaching. :blink:

Lovellbird

Hello everyone! I am getting frustrated as I'm trying to figure out my new gps. I've gone out several times now to geocache with my kids but can't seem to figure out how to use the gps properly. I've noticed that not many others seem to have this problem lol. I'm not sure if info is missing from the gps manual or if it's the dunderhead using it ;) I admit that I don't really know how to use a compass efficiently which seems to make using the electronic one a bit challenging lol. That is so embarrassing to admit on a public forum where others seem to get it easily lol. Oh well. Despite the frustration we have spent 2 excursions hiking on beautiful trails for 45 mins each :blink:

I really want to learn and educate myself as well as get my kids hooked on this wonderful activity but I'm not sure how to educate myself properly. I would appreciate any advice you can provide.

monpapillon

You should have a regular magnetic compass with you to find North. The electronic one in nav. display is fine if you know where N. is. Point the N on unit to north and follow the arrow to cache. Look for something out of place. IE a pile of stones, a log leaning on a tree, a large flat stone leaning on something, and don't forget holes in trees. tboyla

I just bought one (yesterday) as my first GPS and found it really easy to use. I havent worried about the compass or coordinates at all. I did this:

1. Load the geo caches you want to find using instructions in the quick start guide.

2. Go to the cache listing (this is the bottom choice on the main menu)

3. Click on the listing you want, then hit the menu button.

4. Select Go (should be at the top of the menu).

5. You shoud now have a map on the screen with a green line from your location to the cache. Start walking (or driving) until you are going in the right direction. It will give you approximate distance.

If you are in open air (no trees around) its fairly accurate <10 feet or so. Under trees it has a tendency to bounce around and gives you different readings depending on the direction you approach. You can play with it or just start searching once you are within about 20 ft or so. The clues about the cache page are more important at that point.

good luck!

Edited by Open_Space