Earliest recorded use of GPS

1956 Popular Science Magazine

"Skyful of Moons: To aid navigation by ships and planes, a Chrysler Corporation missile engineer, L. Lawrence Jr., has worked out a plan to launch three satellites – Astro 1, 2, 3 – to circle the earth at 600-mile altitude in 105 minutes, in polar orbits crossing the equator at spaced intervals around the world. The satellites would constantly emit radio signals, enabling a navigator to get his bearings from the nearest one, with the help of an almanac giving each satellite’s position at any time. To power a satellite’s radio, an atomic battery would convert heat from radiactive strontium into electricity, by means of a thermopile."

~ Mitch ~

In 1945 Sci-fi writer Arthur C. Clarke Proposed Geostationary Satellites in an article for Wireless World magazine...

Arthur C Clarke's proposal was to use the satellites for communications. If you know that a satellite is always in a fixed position in the sky (geosynchronous orbit), you can have it act as a relay to send a radio signal to a receiver that is not in line of sight.

GPS satellites (other than those transmitting WAAS) are not geosynchronous. They're actually at a much lower orbit. I tried to follow the math on how they actually work, and there's some serious voodoo going on there. While I have great respect for Arthur C Clarke for his imagination and writing, I don't believe he has the math and physics background to envision the GPS as it exists today.

1956 Popular Science Magazine

"Skyful of Moons: To aid navigation by ships and planes, a Chrysler Corporation missile engineer, L. Lawrence Jr., has worked out a plan to launch three satellites – Astro 1, 2, 3 – to circle the earth at 600-mile altitude in 105 minutes, in polar orbits crossing the equator at spaced intervals around the world. The satellites would constantly emit radio signals, enabling a navigator to get his bearings from the nearest one, with the help of an almanac giving each satellite’s position at any time. To power a satellite’s radio, an atomic battery would convert heat from radiactive strontium into electricity, by means of a thermopile."

~ Mitch ~

Sounds to me like they wanted to use a SNAP-27 for power.

Archeologists theorize that the first GPS was created by Grnt Oggde in about 1,000,000 BC. He immediately sat down and waited for a signal. On a side note the very first McDonald's is believed to have been built on the very site where Mr. Oggde starved to death waiting for that signal.

That comment reminds me of a local geocache WP. A guy buried in the 19th century and is under the sign for McDonald's

I tried to follow the math on how they actually work, and there's some serious voodoo going on there

Actually there is no Haitian or Cajun religious practices involved. It was made possible by the capture of the elusive chad fairy.

Hey, I know him... B)

hmmmm, you been around radios and teletypes? If not it is not the same Chad.