Feature Request Night Cache Icon

buzzkill2

I would like to suggest you have a special icon just for night caches. I am sure I am not the only cacher that loves night caches and would like to be able locate them quickly for download. Perhaps a crescent moon rather than a question mark?

the "flashlight" and the "recommended at night" are the attributes for night caches

the question mark is not for night caches specifically, is for mysteries in general, also night caches are listed as multis too

I am sure I am not the only cacher that loves night caches and would like to be able locate them quickly for download.

And what about cachers who like caches in cemeteries, or tree climbing caches, or ones hidden in caves, or ones that use letterbox clues, or ones at historic locations....

There are many genres of geocaches that people like. Often when they find one cache they want to find more like this one. The answer is not to create new icons for every genre of geocache - either as a new cache type or as a new attribute. Instead we have a solution already in place.

Premium members can create bookmark lists of caches. These lists can be made public and shareable. Once a list is public, a link to the list appears on the cache page of every cache in the list. Both premium and basic members can see the list. If you are a premium member, you can start a bookmark list of night caches in your area. When someone does a night cache and wants to find some more they can click on the link get a list of other night caches. Cache hiders in your area will soon find out about your bookmark list and send you the GC numbers for other night caches to add to it. This solution will work for any genre of caches you can think of.

When traveling you might want to know if there are any night caches in the area. The bookmark list solution does not work as well here. You have to have someone tell you about the list or about one of the caches on the list in order to find it (and some premium member in the area you are visiting must have created such a list). A common feature request has been to allow searches for bookmark lists based on keywords to help people find lists of night caches or other genres of caches.

This is indeed what attributes are for. The unfortunate problem is that not everyone is using attributes.

On Jun 24, 2010, my sweep of pocket queries pulled 8,462 caches. There were...

...823 caches with 10 user assigned attributes (9.73%)

...572 caches with 9 user assigned attributes (6.76%)

...634 caches with 8 user assigned attributes (7.49%)

...688 caches with 7 user assigned attributes (8.13%)

...747 caches with 6 user assigned attributes (8.83%)

...718 caches with 5 user assigned attributes (8.48%)

...724 caches with 4 user assigned attributes (8.56%)

...489 caches with 3 user assigned attributes (5.78%)

...256 caches with 2 user assigned attributes (3.03%)

...125 caches with 1 user assigned attribute (1.48%)

...2,686 caches with no user assigned attributes (31.74%)

This eliminates the "Need Maintenance" attribute and only looks at the others assigned by the owner. So in the entire GONIL region, three out of every ten caches have no attributes whatsoever.

But the flashlight and recommended at night attributes*, if properly assigned, should tell users that this is a night cache.

*I'd add that it should also include the "Available 24/7" NOT attribute:

On Jun 24, 2010, my sweep of pocket queries pulled 8,462 caches. There were...

Has has been pointed out many times, statistics may not always be useful, but they can be interesting. So...

From your numbers, there is an average of 4.3 attributes per cache. And it seems that, when people do bother with attributes, they are likely to add 3 or more attributes to the cache - 6.3 attributes per cache when you do not consider those with no attributes.

Speaking of new attributes... guess what we just got? (no, not a night cache icon) I really didt think Groundspeak was done creating any new attributes, but I was wrong!

Cool - like the Field Puzzle Attribute, that one is handy.

.... though I'm noticing I can't edit my existing caches to add that attribute, or the Truck/RV attribute .....

Speaking of new attributes... guess what we just got? (no, not a night cache icon) I really didt think Groundspeak was done creating any new attributes, but I was wrong!

.... though I'm noticing I can't edit my existing caches to add that attribute, or the Truck/RV attribute .....

Hmmm... I didn't notice the mention of the Field Puzzle attribute... what is a Field Puzzle?

Anyway, I am able add those two new attributes without problem. Try again now, perhaps?

Hmmm... I didn't notice the mention of the Field Puzzle attribute... what is a Field Puzzle?

Anyway, I am able add those two new attributes without problem. Try again now, perhaps?

Found a bug report - it's working for Traditionals but not Unknowns.

Field Puzzle = Puzzle that can be solved on site ( go to posted co-ords, calc a projection, count fish in pond ) vs can't be done on site easily (ie the typical diabolical puzzle where you need to do internet research to figure out what kind of puzzle it is you're solving).

Found a bug report - it's working for Traditionals but not Unknowns.

Easy enough to get around for unpublished Unknowns. Change the type temporarily to Traditional to add the attributes.

I briefly added them to one of my traditionals so i can grab their IDs.

I'm not sure whether I see a use for a "Field Puzzle". I have been able to solve some puzzles in the field that clearly were designed to be solved at home before you go (i.e. all the information is on the cache page). Similarly, there have been some "Field Puzzles" where through internet research, I was able to get the answers at home and solve the puzzle without having to visit the sites in the field. Also there are plenty of times where I had to get information in the field but then need to go home to calculate the final or at least to check my results and use Google maps to determine the route to take to the final. It seems to me that a "Field Puzzle" is either a multi or has "Question to Answer" additional waypoints. I don't see that the attribute tells you anything you don't already know. I suppose you can filter on the attribute, but since it doesn't really tell you that can't solve it at home or if you need to do some prep work at home before you go or if you should expect to need to to some additional work at home after getting answers in the field, I don't think it's that useful.

I'm not sure whether I see a use for a "Field Puzzle".

Two examples in my area:

1) Cache had a simple bike lock on it that you had to brute force on site.

2) On site puzzle where you had to find names and years on various monuments.

Basically, the attribute would indicate that you're probably going to spend an indeterminate amount of time on site trying to figure something out.

I'm not sure whether I see a use for a "Field Puzzle".

Two examples in my area:

1) Cache had a simple bike lock on it that you had to brute force on site.

2) On site puzzle where you had to find names and years on various monuments.

Basically, the attribute would indicate that you're probably going to spend an indeterminate amount of time on site trying to figure something out.

Thanks for the explaination. I was also trying to figure out what it would be used for that the Mystery cache type would fail to explain. By the way, where was this in the release notes? All I saw was the mention of the Truck/RV attribute.