I CAN'T FIND ANY!

Claire167

Another tip that many people don't know: Your GPS works best when you are going over 4 MPH. If you walk faster, it is more accurate. A lot of people get close and slow down, then their compass goes all over the place. If you don't find it, walk away and then back at it more rapidly. Your accuracy will improve.

The micros do seem to be a little annoying... I spent a good 30 minutes today trying to find GC295QX - should've been really easy, but it wasn't.

Tried finding GC173FN today for the second time (the first being a couple of days ago - know now that I really shouldn't ever fail to log a DNF, but, well, being a n00b felt a little embarrassed :lol:. Won't happen again). I've been 'round that area a few times now over the two attempts, trying to find the darn thing, but I just can't.

I would love to avoid the micros, but it seems that most in my area are such. My first cache, GC13C65, was a medium size, and it was great to find it. Felt like a proper treasure chest, with loads of small trinkets and travel bugs etc., but it seems that, in my area at least, those aren't all that common.

Never be embarrassed at logging a DNF.

The cache owner is often more amenable to helping, and other local cachers are often willing to help a new cacher in their area.

By the way, UK cachers can be found over in the UK side of these forums HERE and new cachers are always welcome to join in! (And the not so new cachers! :anibad: )

I'm probably reiterating some stuff here but...

Don't expect your GPS receiver to get you to within 2 feet. Even if yours is a good model, it might differ from someone else's good model. Use your imagination when you get close.

Caches are usually at some significant point - for example, the base of a big tree.

Make sure you have read and understood the cache description and type properly. We spent 15 minutes searching a bush once just to realise that I had taken down the details of a multi cache. We should have been noting down numbers from gravestones to get the actual location.

I didn't read all the posts so I may be repeating some advice. I look at the logs of people that found "it" and try to get an idea of where it is by their comments. Example: "I never thought to look down there." To me that means its low. Example: "It blends in perfectly with the wall." I get an idea of what color container is. These may be exagerrated but you can get a lot from the logs. If a cache has a lot of DNF's I don't go to it until I see someone has logged it found. I know the bigger caches are getting obsolete with everyone hiding micros and nanos, but try to find some of those bigger ones first. It will give you an idea of where cachers will stash a container. The micros are harder for muggles to stumble across and remove so the cacher knows they won't have to go back and replace a cache 3 or 4 times a month like they might do with a larger cache. Take it slow and enjoy getting out of the house. You will figure out what works for you and makes sense to you. It's not a race to see how fast you can find it (unless you are after a FTF) but if patience and perservence will win out in the end. You can also email the cacher and ask for a hint. They may give you the bit of information you needed to find it. If they don't help...it was worth a try to ask.