Geocaching Wiki

Do you like helping others? Enjoy spreading information about Geocaching? Then come check out the Geocaching Wiki.

I recently joined in with running the Geocaching Wiki site. We've been getting some things in place for the site. Now, we would like to reach out to the geocaching community to get some more assistance with developing the site. Right now it's pretty much just me and the site creator. With two people, building up the site takes time. But the nice thing about Wiki sites is that users can contribute. There are lot of items that haven't been covered and many that could probably use more information. So if the above questions fit you, maybe you might be able to help us improve the site. No cost to edit or create an account (which has some benefits). There is no obligation in any way to provide a set amount of contributions or information. Anything helps.

A few notes.

1. There is a help page that we've worked on to help you learn how you can contribute, how to make edits, etc. There is a help link on the left sidebar or on the main page. If you have never worked on a wiki site before, then you might want to check out the help for some pointers.

2. On the first page is a list of articles that have been linked to but not created yet. They are articles that could use some help getting them started. If you think you want to help make that page, check out a few other pages first to get some ideas for how to arrange information.

3. If you find a page that has a mistake, help us by fixing it. Peer review and editing is one of the nice parts about a wiki. It may seem like this encourages incorrect information, but it actually helps to avoid it too. Learn how to do so in the help pages.

We also have some side projects tied into the site.

One is building a repository of GPSr information for geocachers to reference. The basic setup is there, but we are working out some kinks.

Two is building a listing of Local Geocaching Organizations. We would really like to build this up as it can provide an easy State-by-State listing of organizations. Anyone can do this and we've tried to make it as easy as possible. On the main page, scroll down to find a Blue and Green box about adding "Local Geocaching Organizations". Follow the instructions for how to get started. Once you've started, there are some more instructions for how to fill out the information. We've tried to make this as easy as possible, so if you have any questions, let us know.

Right now, there are only the two of us working on this. We'd like to get this built up as a reference site for geocacher's. More and more people are using specialized Wiki sites to learn about different things. Why not help ensure that a wide variety of correct Geocaching information is available for referencing in a single location.

Once again, the site is The Travel Bug: Geocaching Wiki.

The advertising links on that site are going to get the link removed here - unless somebody up at HQ approves this.......

Neither I nor the other administrator have control over that. It's put in place by the main Wiki site and there is not a control to turn it off that I have found.

How exactly should I go about getting approval for that? There are countless blogs out there that have ads on them who have posted links on these forums. This site is an information site and considering I have no control over those ads, I would like to contact them about getting permission to post a link in a forum about trying to get other geocacher's to help pool their knowledge into an informational site about Geocaching.

There's also Cacheopedia that's been around for a while...

Great, now I feel like an idiot. :laughing:

Hmm...I was looking to see if there was one out there and the one I am linking to was the first one that came up. Thinking back, I've heard of Cacheopedia before but a long time agao. That one definitely looks more built up, and I've actually seen the name of their overarching wiki site before when looking up info on the one we use. I wonder why someone started a second one when there was already one built?

At the same time, I also see a lot of some out-of-date material on there, and some areas are more in-depth then others.

We'd still like to get some helpers, but I will mention this to the person who started our site. They probably didn't know about it either.

Edited by TripCyclone

Well, just because Cacheopedia came first doesn't mean it has to be the only repository of information. Nothing says you can't complement each other, or even have your site overtake. I'm just pointing out an alternative. Good luck. If there's anything I can contribute I'll even add something to the site.

Once again, the site is The Travel Bug: Geocaching Wiki.

It has been renamed to The Geocaching Wiki because "Travel Bug" is the registered Trademark of Groundspeak Inc. Thanks for the fast action TripCyclone.

(When you get the chance, you'll need to adjust the title tag for that page.)

I have to get someone from the hosting site to do that as we can't change it on our own. I've already put in a request.

I e-mailed some other questions to Bryan yesterday. Any chance of having those looked at in the coming days? Just want to have our butts covered. :huh:

Well, just because Cacheopedia came first doesn't mean it has to be the only repository of information. Nothing says you can't complement each other, or even have your site overtake. I'm just pointing out an alternative. Good luck. If there's anything I can contribute I'll even add something to the site.

Good points to make. Hey, we'll take anyone who wants to help, whether it's only a few pages or someone who wants to help a little more than that. We are just starting, so there is A LOT that we can expand on. The HELP pages are useful for seeing how to use the site.

Good points to make. Hey, we'll take anyone who wants to help, whether it's only a few pages or someone who wants to help a little more than that. We are just starting, so there is A LOT that we can expand on. The HELP pages are useful for seeing how to use the site.

I've added one page, a little brief, but it's something I've repeated often enough over here. If someone asks again, I'll just link them to that page :huh: