Photography is prohibited at all federal facilities

AE5D

This afternoon I was in downtown Fort Worth with my family and, just after 4:00 pm, I stopped to take a picture of the benchmark (CS1734) embedded in the sidewalk at the west end of the Post Office loading dock on the north side of East 10th Street.

I was intercepted by a security guard (an officer from FPS, I assume) who informed me that photography of all federal facilities is prohibited. We were chased away, in other words.

Do we now live in such a police state that a person can't take a picture of the Post Office, or the sidewalk next to the Post Office? Is this part of the new Patriot Act, or was this security guard simply mistaken?

Last week I was chased away from a federal prison when I attempted to photograph their water tower (CS2771), and I can almost understand that they wouldn't like to have a lot of pictures taken there, but I was told almost exactly the same thing: "Photography of all federal facilities is prohibited."

Strictly speaking, this means that 98% of all benchmarks cannot be legally photographed, because they are NGS "facilities".

Naturally I am about to begin writing letters to US Senators and Representatives. But if any of you know if such a law exists, please let me know its name and number.

All I know is that this does pre-date the Patriot Act/9-11.

I got hasseled about 3 days before 9-11 for having my camera out near a federal courthouse that I had no intention of taking a picture of. (I was taking the picture of something across the street.)

I wonder if it was something that was put in place after Oklahoma City.

I suspect that there is a law that prohibits photography in/on Federal facilities, and I further suspect that the law permits local Federal authorities to suspend enforcement if, in their judgement, conditions permit. I have taken photographs of benchmarks and their locales on military installations, post offices and, of course, all over Washington DC, and I've never been hassled (been asked what I was doing, but never told not to take photos). When I take photos on a military base or Federal facility that I think is sensitive, I try not to include in my photos anything that could be used as "intelligence". In a few cases, I've elected not to photograph a mark (like a tower or antenna) because it appeared to be a possible sensitive facility itself or could not be photographed without including a structure or facility that may be sensitive.

I suspect that AE5D's and Bull Moose's experience are more reflections of overly-zealous security personnel or local officials than the general application of the law or rules regarding photography at Federal facilities. Were such a law strictly enforced, several thousand DC tourists would end up in the pokey each day.

That also would mean you can not take a picture of your Granpa's grave at Arlington,its a Federal Facility,there are lots more examples

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS

*GEOTRYAGAIN*

TAKE PRIDE IN AMERICA

http://www.doi.gov/news/front_current.html

1803-2003

"LOUSIANA PURCHASE"

http://www.lapurchase.org

"LEWIS AND CLARK EXPADITION"

http://lewisclark.geog.missouri.edu/index

Arkansas Missouri Geocachrs Association

http://www.ARK-MOGeocachersAssociatoin@msnusers.com

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Ark-Mo-Geocachers

--=[uPDATE]=-- 09/04/2003

Today I put on a tie and a starched shirt and returned to the Federal Building in Fort Worth, home of CS1734, and spoke to the building security supervisor, who introduced me to the Federal Protective Service officer in the FPS office on the first floor. I explained the situation from yesterday, and asked for clarification.

I was told that photography of public buildings is not prohibited, nor could it ever be, as long as the Constitution is still in effect. It is discouraged, since they don't want people taking pictures of security cameras, barriers, and guard positions. But I was assured that for the purpose of benchmark hunting (which took a while to explain), photography is perfectly okay as long as (1) you talk to the building manager first, and explain what you're doing, and (2) you don't take pictures of the guards, cameras, barriers, or any other components of the building security system.

Well, be glad we're not doing this in the UK. I was stopped about 25 times in 2 weeks there from photographing "Her Majesty's Property."

A couple times I almost said "She says it's OK since I'm an American and my grandparents stopped this from being the Fuerer's Property," but I mangaged to show some restraint... which is kinda weird for me. icon_biggrin.gif

quote:
Originally posted by Bull Moose:

Well, be glad we're not doing this in the UK. I was stopped about 25 times in 2 weeks there from photographing "Her Majesty's Property."

Strange, in the 27 years that I lived in the UK before I relacated to the US I was never once stopped from photographing anything - and I photographed a lot of stuff!

JeremyA