Azimuth mark help

gnbrotz

I'm looking for some info (probably from the pros) that I'm hoping will help my search for an AZ mark.

Pasted from datasheet:

KW2850: Primary Azimuth Mark Grid Az

KW2850:SPC PA S - BIG FLAT AZ MK 235 10 14.4

KW2850:UTM 18 - BIG FLAT AZ MK 236 56 29.0

KW2850

KW2850|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

KW2850| PID Reference Object Distance Geod. Az |

KW2850| dddmmss.s |

KW2850| BIG FLAT RM 2 21.025 METERS 00019 |

KW2850| BIG FLAT AZ MK 2352416.9 |

KW2850| BIG FLAT RM 1 38.896 METERS 24920 |

KW2850|---------------------------------------------------------------------|

I already use the info not in bold, coupled with the distance given in the description to project rough coords (usually with better accuracy then the scaled coords I have for the station), but there's one I can't find right now. I'm convinced it's there, and I'm not ready to give up yet. I was wondering if I can apply the info in bold to further refine my search area and how to do it.

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

Thanks, I do use that info, and I'd bet I'm within a few feet. If it jumped up at me I'd probably shake my head in disbelief. Just trying to find some (any) scrap of addidional info that might be of help. This particular area is far from clear, so even using a metal detector is tedious. It may just take another trip or two and some more perseverance.

Embra: fair warning, I'm going to drag you out there (and up to JV4204 as well)!

Greg

N 39 54.705'

W 77 33.137'

This is what I do on Azimuth marks. Yours references the Azimuth angle of 235 degrees,(2352416.9)degrees to be precise,our equipt. will only do 3 decimal points ie 235 degrees.They are usually .25,.50,.75 mi. from the Triangulation Station Mark.Get the reading from the Triangulation Station and then make it a go to and follow the description and the angle. The bearing is the angle from the mark.

WHEN ALL ELSE FAILS *GEOTRYAGAIN* http://www.msnusers.com/MissouriTrails

Greg

Your method looks fine to me, in fact its better than the "eyeball and guesstimate" method that I use. As you probably noticed already, the directions in bold are essentially the same, for practical purposes, as the one that is not in bold, which you are now using, so I dont think there really is any more you can do to refine your search. Unfortunately, precise distances were rarely measured to azimuth marks and the distance given is usually just a rough estimate. If you had a precise distance your chances would be much better. The reason they did not measure a precise distance is because the purpose of the azimuth mark is to establish a direction, not a distance. At the time the points were set, they were intervisible at ground level and the line between them was obvious. With time, the line becomes obscured, usually by growth of trees, sometimes even by new buildings put up in between the points or any number of other things. So all you can really do is try to visualize the circumstances that existed at the time the points were set, and analyze where the most logical place for the azimuth mark location would have been at that time, which can be very challenging, depending mainly on how much time has passed and how much you know about what has changed and what has remained the same in that area.

Ater looking at the NGS data, I see the azimuth mark was not found in 1952, so I would guess it may have fallen victim to road widening, which very often happens to azimuth marks, since they are very often set close to the road for convenience. In hindsight, it looks as if this policy of setting them in the most convenient location available was not very wise for the long term. Anyway, I respect your positive attitude, being determined to prove that its still there is an important ingredient for success. Those who set out with the attitude that the marker is probably not there are defeated before they begin.

[This message was edited by survey tech on April 06, 2003 at 08:42 PM.]

Drag me out there, Greg. I almost went looking for KW2850 one myself a week or two ago, as I was hiking the AT. However, I was with someone who probably wouldn't have appreciated the time and distance from the trail.

Max

Often wrong but seldom in doubt