Snakes..

wjgrun

Just a reminder to be careful out there! I came across a copperhead (venomous snake) while hiking in Ramapo Valley County Reservation today.

The snake was in front of, and alongside the ammo can for "A Curious Yellow North" (GCPY3Z). GZ for the cache is just off the Yellow trail, and has a great view. I had already found this cache, but since I was passing by I thought I would re-visit it. I spotted the cache, and was about to hop down when I noticed the snake.

Since I had already found this cache and it was my first close encounter what I'm fairly certain was one of two venomous snakes found in New Jersey, I decided not to get any closer. I took two pictures with my iphone, but it was difficult to get a good picture of the snake without getting closer - and they may be considered spoilerish..

Bill

Never saw copperheads in the Ramapos. Plenty of rattlesnakes though. The copperheads I've encountered have been around Split Rock and Wildcat Ridge.

Copperheads scare me much more than rattlers do because of their great camouflage and tendency to lie still when approached.

Never saw copperheads in the Ramapos. Plenty of rattlesnakes though. The copperheads I've encountered have been around Split Rock and Wildcat Ridge.

Copperheads scare me much more than rattlers do because of their great camouflage and tendency to lie still when approached.

I had never run into a copperhead or rattler before - the only snakes I normally see around here are garter & and some rather large black/rat snakes.. When I got home from my hike, I did some googling to determine what kind of snake it was.

While I'm not certain it was a copperhead, I couldn't find any other snake that matched it more closely. I did not see the whole snake, but it had the right pattern & color (though the color was much more subdued that the vibrant color i saw in some photos). It did not move when I approached, and did blend in quite well..

If I wasn't such a wuss, I would have attempted to get better photos, though the only camera I had with me was the iphone. I decided to post the pictures (cropped out the surrounding area, so hopefully it's not considered a spoiler):

37acb2b3-df9a-4e9e-8387-dca61427a94c.jpg

1ab29d70-5703-4467-b5c0-22845b60c45f.jpg

Yes, I know you can barely see anything - I'm a wuss!

Bill

Not enough of a pic to tell if it is a Copperhead. Good News is that for the most part they are a non-agressive snake and if they do strike you it is often a dry bite for the first bite.

Here are a few I have spotted while out caching!

9c84a4c1-d208-4ed4-96dc-d6bceedd6fb1.jpg

4eaf749c-f846-4823-91f7-07b35f9027ff.jpg

Edited by Roland_oso

Was it near water? The northern water snake can be confused with a copperhead.

No water (that I am aware of) anywhere near this spot - it was literally in and around the hiding spot for GCPY3Z (A Curious Yellow North) (N 41° 04.406 W 074° 13.608). It's the top of a mountain, lots of exposed rock.

Bill

just saw an Eastern Hognose Snake last week north of the Lemon Squeezer on the AT in Harriman park. I thought it was a copperhead at first.

I missed out on taking a picture of it but this is from Wiki. The one I saw was only a foot long (baby?).

Heterodon_platirhinos2.jpg

Same thing happened to us in Harriman last month. My wife almost stepped on a Hognosed snake and thought it was a copperhead when it struck at her. It was considerably longer than a foot. The way it flattens its neck to look kind of like a cobra is pretty cool.

I managed to snap a photo.

f01b3f4b-12ca-45da-b5df-09106b368c08.jpg

Edited by briansnat

Not enough of a pic to tell if it is a Copperhead. Good News is that for the most part they are a non-agressive snake and if they do strike you it is often a dry bite for the first bite.

Here are a few I have spotted while out caching!

9c84a4c1-d208-4ed4-96dc-d6bceedd6fb1.jpg

4eaf749c-f846-4823-91f7-07b35f9027ff.jpg

The snake in the top picture is definitely a Copperhead. The easiest way to tell the difference between venomous snakes indigenous to the US is the head. They are called Pit Vipers(Diamondback, Cottonmouth/Water Moccasin, Copperhead, etc.) They all have a Heart shaped head with the bottom of the heart being at the mouth. Look at some pictures and you will notice this difference, most other snakes have a head that is the same size as the body. I would highly suggest doing some research on the internet beforeyour next outting so you are more prepared in the case that you come across one of these. I live in VA and not as careful as I should be when out in the woods hiking or caching. I have seen several WAter Moccasins while out fishing though.

The lower photo is also a copperhead. Although there are a several snakes with brown patterns, with some experience proper identification is possible. If in doubt, and in North America, the most positive ID can be made by gently lifting the snakes tail to expose the anal opening. Check the scales on the underside and just aft of that opening. If it is a single row running from side to side across the belly then let go.. if it looks more like a double row of interlocked scales then you are safe. ;)