Question ON Premium Membership

Fakouri

I pay 5 dollars a month for the cach program on my phone why does this not entitle me to a prem member ship? I really think it should.

With most of these apps, (some are not legal apps for GS) they are capable of looking up info real time. You can bring up all the caches in the area, without loading any coords or caches by other means such as LOC and GPX etc.

In other words you just bring up the list of geocaches closest to you any time you want when you have cell service.

The best perk of being a PM is being able to have access to GPX files, and the ability to make pocket queries. A pocket query is a generated list of caches to your specifications, (Example, only caches that you have not found, 100 miles around (coords)). The GPX file contains all the information about the caches so you can load them on your gps with all the information you need from the cache page.

Since most of these apps can access the website directly, there is no need for a pocket query. No need to pay for PM to get the ability to look at all the cache info from your gps.

So you do not need that feature of being a PM. There for you do not need to be a PM, HOWEVER..

Besides the other features, like being able to get into the off topic forum, stats bar etc, the biggest reason you should pay for a PM is not to get these features, but to support the site, so that we continue to have it. The money we pay goes into site improvements, and new features. One of the newer features I like is the send to GPS for Magellan,(after the fix is applied), of which probably would have never been developed without the funding from users PM's.

When I signed up for a PM I didn't know what a pocket query was. I did pay for the extra benefits, which at the time, i wasn't sure what they were, but I love geocaching and it was an easy decision to pay for. It was all about supporting the game.

EDIT: I say if you want to pay less. Cancel your app. Save the money form that and buy a decent gps that supports paperless caching. Pay 30 a year which comes out to $2.50 a month, and make pocket queries and cache that way. That way you would be paying less a month and you would be supporting goecaching.

Edited by mchaos

I pay 5 dollars a month for the cach program on my phone why does this not entitle me to a prem member ship? I really think it should.

With most of these apps, (some are not legal apps for GS) they are capable of looking up info real time. You can bring up all the caches in the area, without loading any coords or caches by other means such as LOC and GPX etc.

In other words you just bring up the list of geocaches closest to you any time you want when you have cell service.

The best perk of being a PM is being able to have access to GPX files, and the ability to make pocket queries. A pocket query is a generated list of caches to your specifications, (Example, only caches that you have not found, 100 miles around (coords)). The GPX file contains all the information about the caches so you can load them on your gps with all the information you need from the cache page.

Since most of these apps can access the website directly, there is no need for a pocket query. No need to pay for PM to get the ability to look at all the cache info from your gps.

So you do not need that feature of being a PM. There for you do not need to be a PM, HOWEVER..

Besides the other features, like being able to get into the off topic forum, stats bar etc, the biggest reason you should pay for a PM is not to get these features, but to support the site, so that we continue to have it. The money we pay goes into site improvements, and new features. One of the newer features I like is the send to GPS for Magellan,(after the fix is applied), of which probably would have never been developed without the funding from users PM's.

When I signed up for a PM I didn't know what a pocket query was. I did pay for the extra benefits, which at the time, i wasn't sure what they were, but I love geocaching and it was an easy decision to pay for. It was all about supporting the game.

EDIT: I say if you want to pay less. Cancel your app. Save the money form that and buy a decent gps that supports paperless caching. Pay 30 a year which comes out to $2.50 a month, and make pocket queries and cache that way. That way you would be paying less a month and you would be supporting goecaching.

I love the app on my phone. plus its kinda hard to spend 250+ on a good gps. i could do it then i would have to stop caching till i saved the money.