Geocaching Expert Help - UAE

katiewatson151084

Hi all,

I am looking for some help. I do the PR for a luxury wildlife island resort in the UAE and as a winter activity, we were looking to do a treasure hunt but a friend of a friend loves Geocaching and it got me thinking this would be a great idea instead. My idea was kind of to do a GPS treasure hunt style day on the island and having the 'hunt' range from intermediate to difficult depending on the participants. If the idea is approved, we would need an expert to come and be part of it for the weekend, help us set up and explain to the participants what it's all about. Can anybody help me or point me in the correct direction?

We done a similar initiative last year with a National Geographic photographer and it worked really well, this would also spread the Geocaching in the UAE word!

Thanks so much,

Katie :)

Two things pop into mind here...

First, I do not know if the "luxury wildlife island resort" is a private thing, or not. Caches listed on geocaching.com must be open to the general public in order to have them published on the website. If your intended caches are solely for the use of your "visitors" or clientele, I doubt that approval would be granted.

Second, caches listed on geocaching.com have a "permanency" requirement. As such, your "kind of to do a GPS treasure hunt style day" probably would not be approved, either.

The activity you are describing is a good one and it is doable. I just do not see it being done within the guidelines of geocaching.com or Groundspeak as you describe it. It would not be terribly difficult to conduct such an event privately on a small scale, and does indeed occur for private parties of all kinds.

Do you have access to the number of GPS units you'll need?

If not, also consider a related pasttime, LETTERBOXING.

http://www.letterboxing.org

Instead of using a GPS, you follow a series of clues to your destination. There are even LETTERBOX HYBRIDS that combine both worlds.

Regarding permanence. You could set up your own, private geocache or letterbox youself as long as you don't intend to publish it. But it would be nice if we all could share in the appreciation of your efforts.

Happy Geocaching!

Edited by michigansnorkelers

Hi all,

I am looking for some help. I do the PR for a luxury wildlife island resort in the UAE and as a winter activity, we were looking to do a treasure hunt but a friend of a friend loves Geocaching and it got me thinking this would be a great idea instead. My idea was kind of to do a GPS treasure hunt style day on the island and having the 'hunt' range from intermediate to difficult depending on the participants. If the idea is approved, we would need an expert to come and be part of it for the weekend, help us set up and explain to the participants what it's all about. Can anybody help me or point me in the correct direction?

We done a similar initiative last year with a National Geographic photographer and it worked really well, this would also spread the Geocaching in the UAE word!

Thanks so much,

Katie :D

Will you be providing airfare for the person coming to help out?

Two things pop into mind here...

First, I do not know if the "luxury wildlife island resort" is a private thing, or not. Caches listed on geocaching.com must be open to the general public in order to have them published on the website. If your intended caches are solely for the use of your "visitors" or clientele, I doubt that approval would be granted.

I after posting my somewhat flippant response about airfare I started wonder just where a luxury wildlife island resort in UAE might be. There is an island called Sir Bani Yas not far from Abu Dhabi that has a luxury resort on it and an extensive wildlife park. There is one cache on the island but I suspect it's not on the resort. On the other hand it's never been found and the only DNF indicated "they found a hole where the cache should be". From the photos I saw the island looked like a spot where I'd love to spend a weekend. I couldn't afford the airfare or the price of the rooms at the resort though. The island could easily handle a handful of caches, but as others suggested if they're placed at the resort, they must be available to anyone visiting the island if they're going to be published on the Groundspeak site. There is at least one other hotel on the island.