Wherigo Builder Update Wishlist

JohnE5

I'd like to start a thread on things we would like to see in an updated builder package. So that Groundspeak can know what we would like to see.

First on my list, Visual Building Process. URWIGO has spoiled me!

Sound off! Maybe someone is listening...

Follow/chase a character along a path.

Set the path in the builder and instruct the player to chase it. It will follow the path you programmed and keep moving at a preset distance and speed from the player.

Example: Harry Potter's- catch the golden snitch.

Follow/chase a character along a path.
Not happening. I wrote a custom lua script to do this and it taxed an Oregon to the point where it took more than thirty seconds for subsequent message boxes to display.

I'll rephrase that: this is not happening until the Player devices can handle it. Oh, I like the idea, but I already tried implementing it. It's open source, so you can see how I implemented the Zone Mover (as I called it).

Let us check the box for Play Anywhere (implemented).
Implementing it is another thing. That's going to take some effort unless you just say, "When the cartridge starts, all zones will be moved to reflect the same distance they are relative to the cartridge's starting coordinates." I could see that, at least. (Or we could just make an author script to accomplish the same thing--but it would be nice if the Builder made the script automatically.)

WHERE is that error? Line-by-line troubleshooting.
That would help solve the question of WHY did the cartridge crash or WHY can't the Builder open the cartridge?

As for me, what would I want? Hmm... Actually, I'd like to be able to code a cartridge using Visual Studio and the compiler write the cartridge that way. But if I'd have to pick, I'd want the action list to be in alphabetical order, spell check, more shortcut keys, a plug-in script library where someone can write an author script and include Builder metacode so the Builder asks questions to set the author script up for your cartridge. At that point, author scripts could be developed like Mozilla plug-ins.

Ultimately, I want to be able to design my own Wherigo interface so I don't have to use the standard one. Or, if we're taking about the sky being the limit, I want Wherigo to take that final step and become a full augmented reality game you could play on your cell phone. But since we're not talking about the future of the Player or Wherigo...

All these are good feature requests. I'd be interested in seeing what else everyone would like to see. This would also give the third-party Builder authors some ideas.

If you want my opinion, though, I believe it would be better for Groundspeak to have a third-party developer program so applications like Urwigo become officially recognized. That way, Groundspeak can focus on the site and Wherigo's future, working with the Builder and Player authors to roll out new features. If I was heading up the Wherigo effort at Groundspeak, this is the idea I would pitch to the owners. That's not the complete idea, just a part of it. However, the problem then is what would happen to the community if a Builder author suddenly pulled out for some reason (justified or not) or got hit by a bus.

Augmentend reality was a thought in my mind too.

Just hold up your phone and you can actually see a character standing there. Or an item on a table. Layar on droid does kinda the same thing.

If we're allowed to take leaps here, then I see the next level as being player interaction. i.e. if another player is in the vicinity they become another player character in the game you are playing.

Group Wherigo anyone? Wherwego perhaps?

Let us check the box for Play Anywhere (implemented).

Done on Earwigo. :lol:

See attached: J2B2's "Zooventure Level Three" in play-anywhere form, compiled for Pocket PC (so optimised for emulator) but should work in your local park. Of course, you'll need to read the source from the demo cartridge download for the answers to the questions.

Z3.zip

If we're allowed to take leaps here, then I see the next level as being player interaction. i.e. if another player is in the vicinity they become another player character in the game you are playing.

Group Wherigo anyone? Wherwego perhaps?

this sounds neat in theory, but it would be extremely difficult for cartridge makers. how would you code interaction of two players, for example? just think about it - not necessarily in terms of code, but in terms of "what does it even mean, having another player in my cartridge?"

this sounds neat in theory, but it would be extremely difficult for cartridge makers. how would you code interaction of two players, for example? just think about it - not necessarily in terms of code, but in terms of "what does it even mean, having another player in my cartridge?"

Well, I suppose it first demands that the technology is smart enough to recognise another 'unit' in the vicinity. Ideally by means of a unit-id so each could be 'named' seperately. Depending on the game scenario, the other players may be friend or foe of course.

In terms of the interaction - perhaps the other players are like mobile zones, and otherwise the events can work in similar ways, e.g. when 'foe' in proximity then commence battle - lose game points. If friend maybe you can swap or share items to help with an overall goal - maybe a goal that is time bound and could not be solved by one person alone.

I'm sure if there were a way to realise the concept then the developer community would come up with all kinds of ways of exploiting it.

I didn't have a specific game in mind - but I'll give it a little more thought.

Paul.

ah, but that's not what i meant. perhaps i phrased it wrong, the "thinking in terms of code" is part of it.

the problem is not "what role does the other player take". that is easy enough.

the problem is that you have two players with two instances of the same code supposedly interacting within that code. the second player is not just another object, she's a few levels above that. for one, you cannot track other player's activities, you have to rely on what they send to you. you can only, say, pass some messages, that would map to lua calls....

waitaminute......

now i'm very, VERY tempted to try and implement this as a new API in OpenWIG

1. search bluetooth devices

2. link

3. introduce

4. synchronize

5. pass messages

6. ???

7. PROFIT!

Bluetooth is too small-scale. This would have to be done by something like Trackonfly (the motor behind live.geocaching.com). If Wherigo is like realworld Zork then this would be like a real-world (M)MORPG.

But... would you really like to be "stalked" in real life by some of the characters who you've met through geocaching? :lol: I think it would have to be "opt-in": Matejcik and I start a game, you apply to join, we decide if we let you play with us.

...would you really like to be "stalked" in real life by some of the characters who you've met through geocaching? :D I think it would have to be "opt-in": Matejcik and I start a game, you apply to join, we decide if we let you play with us.

Ha ha ha! ;o)

Definitely opt-in only. Whilst you might bump into other wherigoers (not sooo likely around here...yet), I'd envisaged this as an intended outing for a group, that may have to (cos the cartridge demands it) or else prefer to (cos the cartridge enables it) play together to achieve something.