CITO Multi-Cache?

d+n.s

There is a trail behind a place I work quite often.

Its a really neat spot, but a lot of trash washes down into it.

I was considering putting a mulit-cache on this trail. The first stage would be a small container with trash bags and a note explaining the cache's concept. You would follow the redirects down the trail picking up trash and reach the final stage.

If you took a picture of yourself at the final stage holding a bag of trash (it doesn't have to be full) you could log it as a bonus smilie.

Is something like this okay? You wouldn't need to cito to get the cache, but you get a "bonus find" if you do...

I'm not sure how fair this would be if it worked, since if the trail happened to be clean cachers may feel deprived.

Just wondering.

EDIT: The "trail" itself is a stone walkway along a creek in the city. Trash and stuff washes down into this creek everytime it rains, but the walkway itself is really nice and goes past some really nice areas.

Edited by d+n.shults

what do you mean by "log a bonus smilie", log 2 finds for one cache?

if so that is not how multi caches work, you get one smilie, although some people insist on logging each stage they find :laughing:

at the end of the day makes no difference to your total finds, your stats will show for example 20 finds on 19 unique caches

why not just organize a CITO event, that way you get to have the whole trail cleaned up in one day and put out a couple of caches and ask the reviewer to publish them the day after the clean up took place and give the coordinates to those that came to your CITO as a reward so they get to find them before anyone else

Edited by t4e

what do you mean by "log a bonus smilie", log 2 finds for one cache?

if so that is not how multi caches work, you get one smilie, although some people insist on logging each stage they find :laughing:

at the end of the day makes no difference to your total finds, your stats will show for example 20 finds on 19 unique caches

Thats sort of my question, but I think you misunderstand me. I've seen caches in my area that ask you to do something special for an extra "find"

Examples include posting a picture of yourself wearng a hat in the cache, kissing someone or standing beneath a certain funny sign near GZ.

I'm not sure if they have them everywhere or if its regional, but I was curious if people frowned on these sort of things? I've never done one myself...

I was just considering the same but with CITO

why not just organize a CITO event, that way you get to have the whole trail cleaned up in one day and put out a couple of caches and ask the reviewer to publish them the day after the clean up took place and give the coordinates to those that came to your CITO as a reward so they get to find them before anyone else

Ehh... I've considered doing an event, but it doesn't seem to be optimal for a few reasons:

1. The area simply will never "stay clean" due to the fact that a lot of trash washes into it every time it rains. so a single event would mostly be for fun/show.

2. My schedule is insane and I can't ever make plans more than a few days in advance.

There ARE people who seem to clean the area up a little occasionally working with certain groups, but I can't help but feel that the infrequent cacher doing a quick sweep might be something nice in addition to the current cleanup efforts.

I could forsee doing an event IN ADDITION to the cache placement itself if things worked out right for me personally with work, but that seems like a long shot.

Thats sort of my question, but I think you misunderstand me. I've seen caches in my area that ask you to do something special for an extra "find"

Examples include posting a picture of yourself wearng a hat in the cache, kissing someone or standing beneath a certain funny sign near GZ.

I'm not sure if they have them everywhere or if its regional, but I was curious if people frowned on these sort of things? I've never done one myself...

i am still not clear what you mean with the "extra find", is it an additional cache?

i am still not clear what you mean with the "extra find", is it an additional cache?

Really I guess "bonus smiley" is more accurate. Like you had said, its two smilies and one cache. Its just not something specific to mulit-caches that I'm talking about, which is why I was putting emphasis on the word "find"... We are getting tangled in knots... :laughing: Sorry.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

GC13b59

GC1186f

GCjg9b

I'm not sure if this helps.

I was considering putting a mulit-cache on this trail. The first stage would be a small container with trash bags and a note explaining the cache's concept. You would follow the redirects down the trail picking up trash and reach the final stage.

If you took a picture of yourself at the final stage holding a bag of trash (it doesn't have to be full) you could log it as a bonus smilie.

My guess is that you'll be asked to remove the "Bonus" idea from the Listing page, as it bumps up against this prohibition in the Guidelines:

This guideline change applies immediately to all logs written from April 4, 2009 and going forward. Older caches with "additional logging requirements" (ALRs) are not grandfathered under the older guideline. If you own an existing cache with mandatory additional logging requirements, we request that you:

* Cease deleting logs based on additional logging requirements.

* Review your own cache listing to see if the ALR can be made into an optional and simple task, or whether it must be removed altogether.

* Adjust your geocache listing by editing the text then contact a reviewer to change the cache type, if appropriate.

In general, a noble idea, but I think you'll be disappointed with the results compared to just Hosting an actual CITO Event.

Good luck!

Really I guess "bonus smiley" is more accurate. Like you had said, its two smilies and one cache. Its just not something specific to mulit-caches that I'm talking about, which is why I was putting emphasis on the word "find"... We are getting tangled in knots... :D Sorry.

Here are some examples of what I mean:

GC13b59

GC1186f

GCjg9b

I'm not sure if this helps.

ok, its exactly what i thought in the first post, people can log 2 finds on the same cache, which is not right

many won't log 2 finds, from browsing on the examples you gave i see one only that did so

so going back to your original question, the idea for the cache is great, just leave out the extra smilie part ;)

My guess is that you'll be asked to remove the "Bonus" idea from the Listing page, as it bumps up against this prohibition in the Guidelines:

Good luck!

what the OP is trying to do is not an ALR....an ALR implied that ONLY if you complete some activity/action you can log the find...which is not the case here

Edited by t4e

In general, a noble idea, but I think you'll be disappointed with the results compared to just Hosting an actual CITO Event.

Just curious, is there a reason you say this?

It seems like a terrible place for a CITO event IMO, unless one part of the group just wants to watch or something... Its long and thin. about 2 people can clean it at a time and it just gets dirty the next time it rains.

Small bits of occaisional maintenence seems more useful than one big push. thats how the volunteers do it at least.

It seems like a terrible place for a CITO event IMO, unless one part of the group just wants to watch or something... Its long and thin. about 2 people can clean it at a time and it just gets dirty the next time it rains.

I'm not sure "terrible" is the word I'd use. Maybe "challenging" :)

I've been to several Trail Clean up type Events, and yes, they do go back to being dirty/trashy pretty quick it seems. The section of Bike Trail that my son and I maintain is a classic example. Once or twice a month we walk the trail and pick stuff up, and it doesn't even make a dent. I placed a cache at one end of the trail, much like your idea, and it really had very little impact if any.

On the other hand, gatherings like the Annual Yosemite Facelift have tons of people spread out over several hundred miles of National Park. Does it make a difference? To be honest, not really, but the climbing community gets some great leverage and goodwill from the Park Service for the 3,000+ people that it attracts each year. So much so, that the organizer was honored with a special commendation from the Park for his efforts.

While the cache idea is a great, I'd be surprised if it really had much in the way of results. At least with a CITO Event, you could get some recognition from the Land Manager for your efforts.

I'm not sure "terrible" is the word I'd use. Maybe "challenging" :)

I've been to several Trail Clean up type Events, and yes, they do go back to being dirty/trashy pretty quick it seems. The section of Bike Trail that my son and I maintain is a classic example. Once or twice a month we walk the trail and pick stuff up, and it doesn't even make a dent. I placed a cache at one end of the trail, much like your idea, and it really had very little impact if any.

On the other hand, gatherings like the Annual Yosemite Facelift have tons of people spread out over several hundred miles of National Park. Does it make a difference? To be honest, not really, but the climbing community gets some great leverage and goodwill from the Park Service for the 3,000+ people that it attracts each year. So much so, that the organizer was honored with a special commendation from the Park for his efforts.

While the cache idea is a great, I'd be surprised if it really had much in the way of results. At least with a CITO Event, you could get some recognition from the Land Manager for your efforts.

Thats a fair point and I think you get it.

That said, I had intended to pitch the concept to the land manager.

I'm now sort of leaning towards no cache at all now. I don't have the time for a CITO event and it seems like my multi idea sucks.