Getting permission

lizziesmama

I would like to hide a few caches in areas around me that I think would make good cache locations. (i.e. parks, etc.) Can someone tell me what the best way is to go about getting permission to plant one in such places as city parks? Pretending that the person you are going to talk to has no idea what geocaching is, what information do you present to them to get them to let you do what you want to do?

I'd assume to bring an idea of where I'd like to place it, and what it might look like if it gets approved. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding this? THANKS! Lizziesmama :angry:

First of all, print off a few of these things: http://www.geocaching.com/articles/Brochur...E_online_bw.pdf.

Use your print preview option, print 1st page on one side, reverse the paper and print page 2. They tri-fold perfectly.

First, you must establish whether the park is city, twp, county or "other", and present yourself to that entity.

If there is a parks manager, that is who you should ultimately speak to. Usually, there is a "go to" person that approves things like this -- he/she may have any type of title.

Oftentimes, parks will have specific guidelines regarding such activities, many require filling out an application or permit -- they are going to need a "responsible person" to contact (you, of course).

Most, but not all parks are receptive to things like geocaches. Be prepared, first impressions are the best. :angry:

here is one///

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

http://www.geocaching.com/

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______. If you are not familiar with the term geocache,Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices.A GPS is Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache.

The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

. This entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually containing a log book and trinkets, then using a Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting people,and family outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic interest.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a beneficial, low impact activity and encourage the sport on their lands. They see the additional visitors and increased exposure that geocaching brings as a plus. Similarly, geocachers often discover exciting new places through the sport, while getting exercise and gaining an appreciation for these areas.

I believe that ________ is one of the special places that would be of interest to geocachers and would like to explore the possibility of my placing a geocache there. I will be calling you shortly to discuss this, or if you prefer you can contact me at _________.

Thank You,

here is one///

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

http://www.geocaching.com/

Dear _______:

I'm writing to request permission to place a geocache in _______. If you are not familiar with the term geocache,Geocaching is a high-tech treasure hunting game played throughout the world by adventure seekers equipped with GPS devices.A GPS is Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache.

The basic idea is to locate hidden containers, called geocaches, outdoors and then share your experiences online. Geocaching is enjoyed by people from all age groups, with a strong sense of community and support for the environment.

. This entails a person hiding a small container (the geocache), usually containing a log book and trinkets, then using a Global Positioning System receiver (GPSr) to mark the longititude and latitude of the geocache. The coordinates are then published on the Internet to allow others to find it.

Geocaching is a fun, family oriented activity that has the benefit of getting people,and family outdoors and introducing them to areas of historic, natural, or scenic interest.

Managers of many parks and nature preserves have determined that geocaching is a beneficial, low impact activity and encourage the sport on their lands. They see the additional visitors and increased exposure that geocaching brings as a plus. Similarly, geocachers often discover exciting new places through the sport, while getting exercise and gaining an appreciation for these areas.

I believe that ________ is one of the special places that would be of interest to geocachers and would like to explore the possibility of my placing a geocache there. I will be calling you shortly to discuss this, or if you prefer you can contact me at _________.

Thank You,

Awesome letter! :angry:

Though a letter can be used as an ice breaker, it is always best to ask in person.

Yes - I'd definitly ask in person rather than via correspondance.

However - before you do that - simply find out if the area already has some existing policy for Geocaching. You might be surprised how many areas already do. Ask the land manager or other knowledgeable area Geocachers. If you find a policy - just follw it - often there is no need for any contact.

Call and setup a meeting so you know you will have thier full attention. Bring examples of caches, bring brochures that explain Geocaching, bring printouts of some other area caches. Be prepared to answer questions like: How many visitors? How often? What goes in the cache? How do you know if it becomes a problem? Be sure to point out how many out-of-area folks might come (spending money in town as they cache). Be prepared for them to say "NO". Be prepared to offer to work out a policy with them.