GeoCoin v Travel Bug

GardenOfSimple

What's the difference between these two? I'm a little confused.

I received a GeoCoin (fresh out of the package -- not one that someone else started) at an event and it has a little key chain on it. Can I attach it to an item if I wanted to?

Or can is that only for Travel Bugs?

Oh, and I saw an election sign that someone told me was a travel bug... and saw reference to another Travel Bug that was really someone's car. What do you do with those sorts of things? How does that work? (The travel bug attached to a small item that you put into a cache is pretty self-explanatory... but I don't really "get" what you do with these other things...)

Travel Bugs and geocoins are the same... yet different. Even more confusing, eh?

Generally geocoins travel "as is", usually TB tag is affixed to a traveler (a hitch-hiker, if you will).

Newer types of geocoins are coming along -- guessing that you are referring to Cachekinz (with the attached chain). You can, if you want, attach something to it (ADVICE: never trust a bead-link chain).

Logging of a TB fixed to a vehicle is by "discover" only -- not unlike somebody wearing a hat or T-shirt that is numbered/designed as a Travel Bug.

I have no clue about an election sign, as someone "told" you.

Newer types of geocoins are coming along -- guessing that you are referring to Cachekinz (with the attached chain). You can, if you want, attach something to it (ADVICE: never trust a bead-link chain).

Logging of a TB fixed to a vehicle is by "discover" only -- not unlike somebody wearing a hat or T-shirt that is numbered/designed as a Travel Bug.

Thanks for the response and the advice about the bead-link chain. That is what it comes with. (It doesn't seem to be a Cachekinz, but same concept of having a chain like that.)

And, for the "discover only" bit-- What do you mean? If you see it, you log it? Or do you take a picture with it and then log it? Or...??

ok

so if you spot a geocachers Car TB on the streets or at some parking lot you log the findas a NOTE?

Found TB at Main st CVS parking lot etc etc ???

I found one at a parking lot on a Geocachers car but I didn't care about looking the number because

I was thinking that was there just for fun and not part of the game...

M.TEX

for the "discover only" bit-- What do you mean? If you see it, you log it? Or do you take a picture with it and then log it?

When you make a "Discovered It" log, the Travel Bug or coin stays where it is. That's how you should log a car's static-cling decal Travel Bug. You can select other actions for regular Travel Bugs such as "retrieve", so you can later place it into another cache. But for a car, you "discover" it.

You can take pictures, but don't post a picture that has a tracking number in view (unless it's illegible in the photo).

Edited by kunarion

so if you spot a geocachers Car TB on the streets or at some parking lot you log the findas a NOTE?

You can make a "Discovered It" log or a "note". If I had a static-cling TB for my car, it would be mainly a little sign to let others know I'm a Geocacher, and though I'd encourage you to do a log anyway, that's totally optional. Edited by kunarion

There are a number of different logs a person may post regarding travelers:

"Retrieved from...." When you actually take a traveler from a cache for moving along;

"Discovered" When you observe a traveler, but take no action beyond observing it;

"Grab" Used when hand-transferring a traveler from one cacher to another cacher (a hand-off) OR to take possession of a traveler that has not been properly logged into a cache (use with caution);

"Write Note" Used to convey some information of note to the log of a traveler -- used when the above listed logging formats are not proper.

NEVER post the tracking # in a log, in the forums or a photograph. Use the reference # instead (found on the traveler home page).

More good reading about trackables in this link: http://support.Groundspeak.com/index.php?p....book&id=10

Hope it helps. :unsure:

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee