Will this still work?

NWGuy

Hi all. I haven't geocached in 2 years (long story). I bought a Garmin GPSmap 60CS new a few years ago. I know this model was discontinued, but is anyone out there still caching with it? Has the technology changed so much it is outdated? I want to get going again this summer and dont want to buy a new one if this one will still do the job.

Thanks much!

I don't know that unit, but so long as you can input coordinates into it I don't see why it wouldn't work :blink:

Of course, a new unit would probably work better: more options for paperless caching, perhaps a more accurate antenna...but the best way to determine if it's still good enough is probably to go test it in the field. Give it a whirl and see if it still works for you, or if you'd rather pay more money for a newer unit.

Hi all. I haven't geocached in 2 years (long story). I bought a Garmin GPSmap 60CS new a few years ago. I know this model was discontinued, but is anyone out there still caching with it? Has the technology changed so much it is outdated? I want to get going again this summer and dont want to buy a new one if this one will still do the job.

Thanks much!

I would use it. Do you have a car gps or a smartphone?

There are units with more sensitive receivers that will get better results in areas where gps signals may be weaker. There are units with more features and more options. But I am sure that many people are still using the CS.

The CS was replaced with the CSx that became the standard for many cachers with high sensitivity and rock solid performance. Now that unit is due to be replaced by the 62, which will feature paperless caching. There will always be something new. Whether to upgrade is something no one can answer but you, but get a feel for caching again with your current unit and see what you think.

You can also check the reviews section of geocaching.com to see what others think of your unit.

Edited by mulvaney

It is a bit outdated because it doesn't have a high sensitivity receiver, but other than that it is a fine unit for geocaching. There are many people out there happily geocaching with older units. You may lose reception at times under heavy tree cover, but if you can live with that there is no need to upgrade.

The CS was replaced with the CSx that became the standard for many cachers with high sensitivity and rock solid performance. Now that unit is due to be replaced by the 62, which will feature paperless caching.

Replaced? I must have missed that. Can you provided a link to the news story indicating the 60 series is being dropped? Here's the press release for the 62, and I don't see mention of it being a replacement for the 60.

Thanks much!

No to the car GPS but yes to the smart phone.

The CS was replaced with the CSx that became the standard for many cachers with high sensitivity and rock solid performance. Now that unit is due to be replaced by the 62, which will feature paperless caching.

Replaced? I must have missed that. Can you provided a link to the news story indicating the 60 series is being dropped? Here's the press release for the 62, and I don't see mention of it being a replacement for the 60.

I'm sure its just a matter of time, though Garmin has been known to keep older models around for a long time after updated versions come out. The original Legend was still in the line until a year or two ago and I just saw a brand new Garmin brochure that shows the Map 76 is still in the line, even though it has been around forever.

The wording on Garmin's site does seem to indicate that the 62 is a replacement for the 60 however and the fact that many retailers are liquidating the 60 appears to back that up.

Thanks much!

No to the car GPS but yes to the smart phone.

Well specifically, the i-Phone and the Blackerries have an app that allow you to use it as a GPSr and for paperless caching. Your 60Cs can be used along side of that.

Edited by alohabra

The wording on Garmin's site does seem to indicate that the 62 is a replacement for the 60 however and the fact that many retailers are liquidating the 60 appears to back that up.

I don't see anything indicating it's a replacement on that site. However, I would expect a price drop in the 60CSX series, hence the liquidation. As the guts of the 62 seem to actually be based on the Oregon, there may be a bit of a backlash from 60CSX owners looking to switch, since the Oregon is missing a lot of features the 60CSX has. Time will tell.