Query of entire State

medic161

Illinois has 15,540 active caches. You can see the results here sorted by date placed. That page is accessible from geocaching.com/seek and choosing Illinois in the state search.

As a premium member, each Pocket Query can only return 1,000 caches max. So with one premium member account it would take over 3 days to get all of the data. Just out of curiosity - it says you're in Alton. Over half of them are in the Chicago area. Do you really need to grab those from a state instead of the nearest 1000 unfound caches?

It is possible to query an entire state, with enough queries, of course. By the time you've run them all, there will be new caches, and some of the caches in your queries will be archived or disabled.

The technique for this is by date. Fiddle with dates until your query returns ~998 caches.

May 2000 to Jan 1 2005 returns 910 caches in Illinois. As you get closer to the present time, the date ranges will get narrower and narrower.

It takes some fiddling for sure... seems pointless to me, but people often seem to want it.

Is it possible to create a query of an entire State? I've made several attempts with no success and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. :)

And if you really want to do this, you could accomplish this with the "Placed Between" option from the Pocket Query options.

Just set the State and start with 01-01-1995 and play with the end date until you get just under 1000 caches. Then make a second PQ starting from that date and so on...