My GPS says FOUND IT but I find nothing

cheshirekitty2

Perhaps some of you experienced players can help here.

So far, I have successfully followed 3 local caches. Each time, my GPS iPhone says you are here, that I found it, but upon searching, I found no cache. Can all three have been Muggled? Is this the normal thing that happens? Suggestions? Just keep trying others?

Thanks a bunch.

CheshireKitty2

No GPS unit will ever be 100% accurate. Depending on where you are and on the weather then you can be a significant distance off. Trees and cloud cover will make a difference. Ground Zero (GZ) according to your GPS is your starting point. Then you need to start looking around for what might make a good hiding place. This then comes with experience because you need to start to understand just what can be hidden.

It can be worth standing still for a few minutes and letting your unit acclimatise in order to get a more accurate reading. Plus, in the early stages, look at the hint so you have an idea of exactly what you might be looking for.

They probably haven't all been muggled. Part of the game is learning to look and imagine.

Check the GPS accuracy on your iPhone when you're at the cache site. You may be at the coordinates but your phone may not be getting a good signal of where you actually are.

Also, you may simply be looking for caches that are rather difficult for a new cacher. Try some small or regular caches instead of micros, and try ones with a Difficulty Rating of 1.

Check the GPS accuracy on your iPhone when you're at the cache site. You may be at the coordinates but your phone may not be getting a good signal of where you actually are.

Also, you may simply be looking for caches that are rather difficult for a new cacher. Try some small or regular caches instead of micros, and try ones with a Difficulty Rating of 1.

I disagree! I always found micro's easier as they are in urban areas so the GPS works better. Before you have an idea of where these things are usually hid, having good coords is MUCH more important then having a large container. I still DNF regulars...

Just in case you don't know... NO GPSr that you might have is going to put you atop the cache, at least with any degree of reliability.

It will only take you to the vicinity of the cache. You still gotta hunt for it. When your GPSr (or iPhone, in your case) says you are "there", you are usually within 20 or so feet of "there" -- add to that the possibility that the cache hiders' GPSr said the same thing, you are looking in an area thereabouts of a 40 foot circle.

Can you see where this is going? You STILL have to hunt! Plain and simple. :rolleyes:

Oh yeah...they call that the geosense...put the d... thing away and expand your search to fit the description and hint. Sometimes the last cacher has put it away in the wrong bush (that is called migration).

Oh yeah..sometimes they cover it up with leaves or bark or rocks.

OR hang it in the tree! Do look up, occasionally. :rolleyes:

EDIT: Dang typos!

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
:rolleyes: Hi; The gps says gz however accuracy is shown as with in 30FT. this means a 60 ft radius from where you are. also its not just laying in the open. look for something out of place ie pile of rocks, tree w/ rock or piece of bark leaning on it. Stand and turn 360 degrees looking out the 30 or whatever ft. and notice something out of place. ;)