Question and pix for surveyors...

mjedmondson

Cannot see your pictures, but I would guess they are right-of-way markers, probably set by the state. If so, they would define the lines between public r/w and private land. This would be especially likely if one or both of the roads are state highways and/or if road widening is being done there. Not a stupid question at all, these things are mysterious to most people. Such points would not be in the NGS database.

The twomarkers.html website didn't help. After a bunch of clicking around and pasting like embra said, I finally got both pictures to arrive.

I see loads of these surveyor marks around. I figure it means that something new is going to be built (such as a road widening, storm drain, building, undergrounding of utilities, bridge, etc.) in the area soon. Building starts with surveying.

They are of no particular interest to our benchmark hunting, except to wonder if the beginning of their survey is a local geodetic disk.

I can't be certain but they look like some kind of work points to me. Probably set here because working in the road is to dangerous. I would guess there is some construction planned or other work that required a engineering survey (mapping) etc.

The appear close to the road to be ROW etc but the only ones that would know is those that set them.

Note-Just because a survey crew etc sets a point does not always mean its meant to be permanent. For instance they could set a point in a safe area and map from that work point. As long as they have enough control in the area the survives they can always work from a new point and get on the same datum. Not easy to picture unless you are involved in the work, and they is never just one way to do something. Surveying is basically geometry and trigonometry in practice on the ground.

These points, as mentioned above, are too close to the pavement to be R/W markers. They are most likely "traverse" points for instrument setup, possibly for a design or r/w survey of the road. Often with road surveys, these points will link traverses that are physically measured on the ground and most times connect control monumentation like the ones discovered with benchmark hunting. All the stakes around the point indicate someone thought it was quite important. Often these points will be referenced to additonal, similar points or physical objects so that they can be re-established or re-set. The wood stakes have a tendency to dissappear fast (kids like them)

quote:
All the stakes around the point indicate someone thought it was quite important.

This was why they caught my attention. Seems like I see a single stake around every corner, but to see eight of these three-stake groupings at one intersection... that made me curious.

Thanks,

- Michael