Trackable geocaching patches with the velcro on the back?

Migs

Friends:

You know those trackable geocaching patches with the velcro on the back? Well how do you use them? Do you wear them? What happens when someone spots you wearing one? I don't quite understand the role they are to play.

Thanks for enlightening me,

Migs

Typically, they are used to turn a person into a Travel Bug. Usually only for "discoveries". Did you ever try to stuff somebody into a 30 cal ammo can?

EDIT: They can also "dip" themselves in a caches they visit, using the tracking system as a geo-odometer.

Edited by Gitchee-Gummee
Typically, they are used to turn a person into a Travel Bug. Usually only for "discoveries". Did you ever try to stuff somebody into a 30 cal ammo can?

EDIT: They can also "dip" themselves in a caches they visit, using the tracking system as a geo-odometer.

Can you go into more detail about both of these replies? How is it done? I want to understand. Also, what are the advantages of a human travel bug? Thanks! -Migs

Migs,

It allows you to:

1. Let other people log a "Discover" if they encounter you at a geocache, at an event, or just happened to meet you.

2. Keep track of what caches you visit. Every time you find a cache, you log a "placed in..." followed immediately by a "retrieved from...". This is called "dipping".

For someone to log a "Discover", they'll need to copy down the tracking # of the patch.

You can use any trackable item to do it, from the dog tags to a geocoin. The patch is just so that you can wear it easily.