Garmin 60cx w/Delorme Topo USA 7.0 or 8.0?

Hi All,

I haven't been on in a while and I am looking for some advice. I tried the search feature but it complains when you use words with less than 5 characters. So "Delorme Topo USA" doesn't fly.

Here is my situation:

I have a Garmin 60cx GPSr with Garmins Topo 2008 maps loaded on it and I love it! I use Garmins Mapsource Program to manage tracks / etc. I want to be able to print out Maps that are useful. Mapsource doesn't really provide much to help with that.

I have seen maps generated by Delorme Topo USA 5.0 and I like the features etc. So that has lead me to look at Topo USA.

I am currently looking either Version 7.0 or 8.0 - I have read that Version 8 is buggy and a resource hog on your computer. So I am leaning towards Version 7.0 as my sole purpose will be to import my GPS tracks from my Garmin (or just open the track files) and to make maps to print out of the areas I go to.

Thanks in Advance!

-Steve

Edited by CraZySteve

Hi All,

I am currently looking either Version 7.0 or 8.0 - I have read that Version 8 is buggy and a resource hog on your computer.

Thanks in Advance!

-Steve

I've used both and the comparison between the two regarding resource usage is nonsense.

Now, when I was using Topo USA 7.0 and had only the western USA loaded as compared to the entire USA loaded on my hard drive with 8.0, then.........

The detail, region maps come in eight packages: E1, E2, ......W4.

You only need to load that which you want and I never load E1 - E4.

Have you tried printing your Topo maps with Basecamp? I believe support for printing is quite a bit better with Basecamp. It is a free download from Garmin.com. On a related note; if you have a GPS with Topo maps, why do you need printed maps?

For my ATV club

Any of the DeLorme Topo versions (7, 8, or the upcoming 9) should do what you want.

Cool, I have seen maps made with Version 5.0 and they looked good.

I had no problems with Topo 8 on an Intel Atom based netbook, so it's not a resource hog. (If it's too much for your machine, you can get that Acer Aspire One nettop for $200...)

Any of the DeLorme Topo versions (7, 8, or the upcoming 9) should do what you want.

Cool, I have seen maps made with Version 5.0 and they looked good.

I had no problems with Topo 8 on an Intel Atom based netbook, so it's not a resource hog. (If it's too much for your machine, you can get that Acer Aspire One nettop for $200...)

I am sure my PC can run it, my point about Topo USA version 5.0 is that I liked how the maps looked with that version of software so if I can get Version 7.0 for short money compared to Version 8 then well I will buy version 7.