I got a Mac and i use a Garmin Dakota, how do i transer my cache?

Hi,

Is there anyone who can help me with the cache transfer with a Mac on a Dakota Garmin? I tryed the Mac program we can get from the download page in here, but it show me some kind of error talking of a serial port. Please if you got any tips to help me out...

Thanks!

You're a Premium Member.

Set up a PQ, run it and download to where you can find it. (Desktop or a folder etc)

Unzip/unstuff the .zip file.

Drag/drop the two GPX files to the GPX file on your unit.

Should show Device name> Garmin folder> GPX folder.

Not on my Mac, so not 100% certain of names!

Files should be in the folder with two folders called Current and Temp.

Does that make sense?

Edited by Bear and Ragged
Hi,

Is there anyone who can help me with the cache transfer with a Mac on a Dakota Garmin? I tryed the Mac program we can get from the download page in here, but it show me some kind of error talking of a serial port. Please if you got any tips to help me out...

Thanks!

If you are getting a "serial port" error, take another look at whatever software you are using and be certain that it is configured for your Dakota, not an older eTrex. Your Dakota uses USB. The older eTrex units used a serial port connection.

Is there anyone who can help me with the cache transfer with a Mac on a Dakota Garmin?

Sure, as a Mac user let me toss out a few things for you to try.

The first and probably the easiest for a beginner is to use the "Send to GPS" button on any cache page. You are going to want to have the Garmin Communicator plugin installed. Nice thing is it will also work on other sites such as Google maps :)

As a premium member, you will next want to look into Pocket Queries. These can be dropped into the mounted GPS or datacard directly.

Next, PQ's can be imported into Garmin's BaseCamp and sent to your GPS. BasecCamp will also display the cache info and show the location on a map.

There are some other software that might be of use but this should get you started.

Edited by coggins

Is there anyone who can help me with the cache transfer with a Mac on a Dakota Garmin?

Sure, as a Mac user let me toss out a few things for you to try.

The first and probably the easiest for a beginner is to use the "Send to GPS" button on any cache page. You are going to want to have the Garmin Communicator plugin installed. Nice thing is it will also work on other sites such as Google maps :grin:

As a premium member, you will next want to look into Pocket Queries. These can be dropped into the mounted GPS or datacard directly.

Next, PQ's can be imported into Garmin's BaseCamp and sent to your GPS. BasecCamp will also display the cache info and show the location on a map.

There are some other software that might be of use but this should get you started.

Thanks, but the problem with Send to GPS, everytime i try this it ask me to reinstall Garmin Communicator, even if it is correctly installed. The PQ idea is good but its not the best to get many cache at a time quickly! I would like to undertand why Garmin communicator does not work properly!

Thanks, but the problem with Send to GPS, everytime i try this it ask me to reinstall Garmin Communicator, even if it is correctly installed. The PQ idea is good but its not the best to get many cache at a time quickly! I would like to undertand why Garmin communicator does not work properly!

There is most likely a conflict between the Garmin Communicator and something else installed in your internet browser. Some people have had problems with the Safari, Communicator and flip4mac combination. I use Communicator with Firefox and it works every time.

Getting many caches at a time is exactly what PQs are for... gc.com upped the limit on caches per PQ to something ridiculous. Used to be 200, now it's *at least* 500.

The Garmin Communicator approach only lets you send one cache at a time to my knowledge, not 500...