another oregon 450 question

ok another ??. Once caches are loaded on the unit and marked as found how in the heck can i delete all the ones marked found. there has to be a way but danged if i can figure it out.
No can do. We don't have access to the area where "found" is tagged. You have to either move the entire gpx offline and delete them from the gpx and send it back to your Oregon, or log them at gc.com and download another PQ without them.

FWIW, once you've marked them as found on your Oregon, they shouldn't be showing up again unless you ask to see your Found caches.

Edited by ecanderson
ok another ??. Once caches are loaded on the unit and marked as found how in the heck can i delete all the ones marked found. there has to be a way but danged if i can figure it out.
No can do. We don't have access to the area where "found" is tagged. You have to either move the entire gpx offline and delete them from the gpx and send it back to your Oregon, or log them at gc.com and download another PQ without them.

FWIW, once you've marked them as found on your Oregon, they shouldn't be showing up again unless you ask to see your Found caches.

man that sucks. In that case how can you delete all caches at one time so you can download another pq?

Im not the most tech savvy guy in the world but im slowly figuring this thing out.

man that sucks. In that case how can you delete all caches at one time so you can download another pq?

Im not the most tech savvy guy in the world but im slowly figuring this thing out.

Edited by mskissguy&frannyfru

Ah, you asked about deleting found caches, not ALL caches. That's easy. Connect to your computer, and delete the *.gpx file(s) from your Oregon's Garmin\GPX directory.

Alternately, if you are using GSAK to shuffle the data, there's a box to click on the GPS/Transfer screen for the Oregon 450 that you can click that assures any previous cache file(s) is(are) deleted before new one(s) get sent to your Oregon. I tend to batch my PQs together with GSAK and have it send a single file over to the GPS. Fortunately, you can now stuff 5,000 caches on your Oregon. Good thing, since gc.com just increased the allowance from 500 to 1,000 per PQ!

Once you give it a new *.gpx file(s) of caches from your PQ, your Oregon will see the presence of a different file and start from scratch regarding found/not-found.

There's no way to delete all caches from the GPSs own screen as there was in the map/eTrex days. That's been discussed as a "bug or feature" since these newer units first arrived. I vote "bug".

Edited by ecanderson

I am glad someone else is having the same problem - Oregon 450 great for finding caches - but how do I update my finds on my profile and delete them from the GPS

I am glad someone else is having the same problem - Oregon 450 great for finding caches - but how do I update my finds on my profile and delete them from the GPS

Updating your finds at geocaching.com is easy -- go to your profile, and look over in that far right column for "Field Notes". Click on "Access Your Field Notes". That will take you to a page where you can select the Garmin way of doing things (vs the others), and that in turn will take you to a page where you "Browse" to the geocache_visits.txt file in the Garmin folder of your GPS, and then upload that information to gc.com from your connected 450. From there, you'll figure it out. Beats the heck out of retyping all of those GC codes after a busy day caching.

Once you are done with that, you should delete your geocaching_visits.txt file from your 450 with your PC. If you want your 450 to forget those caches altogether (doesn't hurt anything, but they will show up in your "found" list on your 450 if you ask it to show found caches), you must delete the *.gpx file(s) from your 450's Garmin/gpx directory with your PC... and of course, you'll need to reload another PQ at that point.

To see what GC codes you've found, plug your Oregon into your computer. Go to the Oregon directory. Select the Garmin file. In the Garmin file, there should be a txt file called "geocache_visits". Open that and you will see all of the GC codes of your found caches, and the date you found them, and any notes you wrote about them.