Benchmark Database

Byron & Anne

I recently started a little benchmark hunting.

The first one I found wasn't listed, but that was a while back and I just let it go. Today I found two more. One was listed and the other wasn't. I went to http://www.ngs.noaa.gov/datasheet.html and several were listed that weren't listed on geocaching It appears there is a database avaliable from noaa that is more complete than the one used by geocaching.com. I think it's avaliable for anybodies use.

PID no.s I logged at noaa are QD1182 and QD1181. Only one of those is on geocaching.com

Just my $.01 worth.

Byron

Byron

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

It appears there is a database avaliable from noaa that is more complete than the one used by geocaching.com. I think it's avaliable for anybodies use.

PID no.s I logged at noaa are QD1182 and QD1181. Only one of those is on geocaching.com

Just my $.01 worth.

The database on geocaching came directly from NGS/NOAA in 2000. Some PIDs do not show up in a search because they have a "not found" in their history. Such is the case with QD1182, which was not found in 1961. It doesn't matter if there is a subsequent "found", that's just the way the software works. This has been mentioned several times and hopefully Jeremy will include them in searches when he has time to fix such things. However, you can find it on geocaching by using the PID directly and can certainly log your find that way. There are other reasons why benchmarks do not show up on a search, detroyed, not enough information and updates since 2000 are the most obvious. There have been reports that ocansionally one or two just don't show up in a search for no known reason. It always pays to check the NGS web site if it matters to you.

quote:
Originally posted by Byron & Anne:

The datasheets for both look exactly the same to me. Both found and recorded in 1995. Both have orange marker stake. Hmmmmm

Byron

They are indeed very similar. However, they have different designations and stampings (K 355 vs. L 355), different elevations (4841.08 ft vs. 5155.65 ft), different locations (44-46-29N 121-49-13W vs. 44-46-14N 121-48-10W), different settings (UNSP ROCK vs. LARGE ROCK). QD1182 was not found in 1961, the is not record in 1961 for QD1181. And the descriptions are quite different. The fact that they are so similar is probably due to the fact that they were set at the same time, visited at the same time (except 1961) and everyone just wrote the same stuff because it's easier that way.

Byron,

Some of your fellow geocachers/benchmarkers no doubt work for the government. On September 11, of all days, I don't think I have to remind you of the fine and important work our federal, state and local employees do for you.

In any event, the software in question is not the NGS software, it is the geocaching.com software, since the NGS database will indeed return 'not found' marks.

Regards,

ArtMan

I'll respond...

The data is from 2000, so I need to get the more up-to-date data.

With that said, we intentionally filtered many benchmarks that were reported "missing" because there were sooo many benchmarks being returned already. The database is complete on Geocaching.com circa y2000, so it should duplicate the NGS database from then.

We will probably add a toggle so you can see all the benchmarks, instead of the ones that have been confirmed existing last time they were logged.

Jeremy Irish

Groundspeak - The Language of Location

Thanks Jeremy for the explaination. I would appear that one of the two I found was looked for and not found at that time. Therefore it was excluded from your database. I would guess that was excluded by looking for key words. It doesn't matter that much if some aren't included. Just for grins I'll probably log both when they both places and log at NGS when they're not.

ARTMAN---At one point in my checkerd carrier I worked for a DOD contractor and currently we sell parts to another DOD contractor or two. Therefore I see things from a slightly different viewpoint, right or wrong, that's the way it is. My comment had nothing to do with 9-11. I cannot be responsible your being upset by comments and jokes about the way our government does things. This is the greatest country in the world, but there are many things that could make it better, and that's one things we need to always remember. Remembering those that lost their lives and those that lost loved ones or friends in the 9-11 attack is also important. Our government has one of the biggest challenges it's ever faced. That is how to prevent this type of thing from ever happening again without destroying the Constitution of the United States. That very constitution allows me to criticize the government and you to criticize me. Because I have very strong convictions about the Bill of Rights. I do, and will defend your right as well as my right to our opinions, no matter how far appart they are.

9-11.... Most of us know or know of somebody that was lost. From your location ArtMan, you probably know somebody that lost their life. The pain is great. I, along with many many people, shed a few tears today. My sense of pain and sorrow is for the loss of life. All the lives that have been lost because of the actions of a few people, I hurt for them all, every one..

Byron

We are! Of the People, for the People, and by the People, we all need to look at these statements made by our Fore-fathers. I have found that volunteering for the www.usafreedomcorp.gov has helped me to understand this better in the past few months, I have always had the impressions like so many other Americans that 1 person could not make a diffrence, that has changed, If I want to stand up for what (I) believe (I)have to do something about it. One raindrop does not create the river but with the help of others it can rush torrents through a Nation.We need to do all we can for the Homeland defense, wether you know it or not this site is helping to promote just that, DEEP THOUGHTS into this will help,We all need to learn who and (where) Long. and Lat.we are.Many Happy Geotrails!