Blank Benchmark?

IndyTycoon

Yes, people often report that they've found a survey marker and it isn't in either the NGS or the Geocaching database. (Geocaching gets its database exclusively from the NGS.)

Thousands of survey marks of various kinds, including disks, are not in the NGS database. These marks were not submitted to the NGS by the surveyors (either commercial or governmental) who established them, often because the additional expense involved in doing so wasn't part of their project.

Since these survey marks are not in the database, you can't register them in the Geocaching site as a find.

This situation has been discussed in this forum here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and

here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and here, and ........

This sort of question is asked a lot and the responses are very informative, so I figured I'd put a collection of the last 4 months' worth here for reference for future similar questions.

quote:
Originally posted by IndyTycoon:

My actual first find was on the side of the road that I saw on top of a concret post, but for some reason when I stopped to look at it, there where no markings.

I can't make out from the picture what is on the marker. Were there actual words?

And was the post next to it labeled as a witness post?

And where was it?

quote:
Originally posted by Black Dog Trackers:

This sort of question is asked a lot and the responses are very informative, so I figured I'd put a collection of the last 4 months' worth here for reference for future similar questions.

Wow, is this a record for being Markwelled? Thanks for putting the links in one spot, I'm sure we'll make good use of it.