Batteries

I'm wondering what kind of batteries you use in your GPSr, and if you've noticed a difference between different brands/types of batteries...

I use NiMH batteries. I've noticed that I can charge them up and reuse them again and again while with Alkaline batteries I have to keep filling up the land fill with dead batteries. I've also noticed that the higher capacity batteries, if they are fully charged, will last a bit longer than the lower capacity hybrid batteries. I have not noticed any difference between brands.

Am trying to have my cake and eat it too, and so far have been impressed by the operation of the Powergenix NiZn cells. Exceptionally flat discharge curve at a voltage more on the order of lithium, so you get pretty much all of the power they've got before the Garmin calls a halt to things.

I have found the Eneloops and Imedions are ideal for our GPS's. The combination of a low-energy thirsty device (GPS) and low discharge characteristics of the batteries make for a good pairing. You won't find these types of batteries over 2100 mah; so they will not last long in thirsty devices such as digital cameras. And since most cachers cache an hour or so every 2, 3 days, a 2800mah nimh battery will lose power at a significantly quicker rate than the low-discharge batteries.

I use the 2600 mAH Lacrosse NiMH batteries that came with my bc-9009 charger. They work great in my GPSMAP 60. I've also used my wife's low-self-discharge NiMH Rayovac rechargeables from Target with good results. Would like some Sanyos but haven't had enough reason to go out and buy some yet.

Ken