what do you do if you can't reach the cache?

I'm also vertically challenged and have found that caching with a nimble 9 year old who can scamper up trees is a big help.

Some COs would say, if you didn't get it yourself, it doesn't count as a find. Kind of like group caching. Some COs feel if you didn't find the cache yourself it doesn't count as a find if only one person in your group actually found the cache and the rest signed it.

I'm also vertically challenged and have found that caching with a nimble 9 year old who can scamper up trees is a big help.

Some COs would say, if you didn't get it yourself, it doesn't count as a find. Kind of like group caching. Some COs feel if you didn't find the cache yourself it doesn't count as a find if only one person in your group actually found the cache and the rest signed it.

There are other times when the 9 year old's arm isn't long enough to reach and mine is. I'm honest in my log, so the CO can decide how to deal with the find. If the find is deleted, no big deal, we've still had the experience.

I have a 5 foot staff with a steel hook on the end. I also have multiple rare earth magnets attached to my hats to clip to the hook and use for this type of situation. I haven't need to yet because I've been tall enough so far, but I have these with me just in case.

Pogo sticks and Wile E Coyote comes to mind every time this topic comes up.

mountainman38 : Reading your description, the image that comes to mind is hilarious :D

Thanks. I'm not sure what it says about my juvenile frame of mind, but I was almost crying from laughing so hard at the mental picture I got. Still am, asa matta fact. :)

....I also have multiple rare earth magnets attached to my hats to clip to the hook and use for this type of situation....

Er, how do I put this.... How's your brain feel, with all those rare earth magnets on your hat? :)

Maybe this helps tune your geo-sense, so you'll start tingling when you get near a cache.

If you lurk about in the shadows, you'll see that these forums are great places to get answers, however the threads usually don't fade away once all the reasonable advice has been posted. Threads tend to take on a life of their own, which brings out all sorts of folks, from those who absolutely must argue every conceivable point, of every single topic, to those who take any opportunity to inject humor, to those who do naught but spew vitriol. If you stick around, you'll learn who does what. :)

not only are you wrong, you are stupid looking too with that motorcycle cop outfit. :)

There are other times when the 9 year old's arm isn't long enough to reach and mine is. I'm honest in my log, so the CO can decide how to deal with the find. If the find is deleted, no big deal, we've still had the experience.

If I cannot reach the cache, then I log it as DNF. Why would you put the onus on the cache owner, and make him the bad guy? You did not sign the log. Why would you claim a find?

Example:

37b0cc1c-ae32-478b-83d0-530c71534273.jpg

Yup! There it is!! I could not get to it, therefore it's a DNF. Seems rather simple.