Error Reading Cartridge. HELP

g.Athena

Here is the message when I try to open the file:

Error Reading Cartridge.

System.ApplicationException: Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.LuaDoFile(String filename) at ZonesAuthor.LuaFunctions.ReadLuaCartridge(String luaFileName) at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.OpenCartridgeFile()

I'm lost. I put SOOO much work into this. I don't have older copies. Now I can't open it. What now?

I got a similar message while trying to compile on my machine, and I exited. Now I can't open it at all.

Is there a way to open another way and fix?

Here is the message when I try to open the file:

Error Reading Cartridge.

System.ApplicationException: Exception of type 'System.ApplicationException' was thrown. at Groundspeak.Wherigo.ZonesEngine.ZonesEngineDll.LuaDoFile(String filename) at ZonesAuthor.LuaFunctions.ReadLuaCartridge(String luaFileName) at ZonesAuthor.frmMain.OpenCartridgeFile()

I'm lost. I put SOOO much work into this. I don't have older copies. Now I can't open it. What now?

I got a similar message while trying to compile on my machine, and I exited. Now I can't open it at all.

Is there a way to open another way and fix?

You have no possibilities to recover your files.

I have had many errors like your but I have lernt from this.

Tip: Work with all files and photos in a folder and slowly build up the structure. Save Lua och publiced file (.gwc) there and when you have made some changes and all works well(i.e you got a working gwc file.that works in the emulator) Save the whole folder on an other location. Continue in small steps. Do not remove any picture if you exchange a picture in the editor but leave it in the folder. Continue and aftera few new steps that worked well save again the complete folder to your backup place. If it crash you delete the whole workfolder or at least all LUa, GWC and backup files and try again by taking your saved backup files (or the whole folder). In this way you learn by your misstakes.

Make a small testprogram with the wizzard and before you introduce any noveltiest in your program test it there. I have named my testprogram " walking with the dog" and placed it from my door around the block. My dog loves it and I can test new trick on the same time.

I have 4 working published

j-annie sweden

You have no possibilities to recover your files.

Not true. In many cases you just need to find where the error is. It can be time-consuming, though. The basic method is to comment out (put "--" at the start of each line) of several sections of the code and see if the cartridge then loads, then juggle the "--" comment characters around until you identify the line which is causing problems. It seems like a lot of work, but it's less than rebuilding your cartridge from scratch.

From the error message, it could be that the problem is in a user-supplied string - that is, a message or dialog. I'd start by making a copy of the Lua file, then replacing all of the message and dialog strings - everything from one " character to the next, or from [[ to ]] - with "Hello". If that file loads, then the error was in one of the message/diallog strings.

That said, any system which uses the same file as source and object is bound to hit this kind of problem eventually.

I have had many errors like your but I have lernt from this.

Tip: Work with all files and photos in a folder and slowly build up the structure. Save Lua och publiced file (.gwc) there and when you have made some changes and all works well(i.e you got a working gwc file.that works in the emulator) Save the whole folder on an other location. Continue in small steps. Do not remove any picture if you exchange a picture in the editor but leave it in the folder. Continue and aftera few new steps that worked well save again the complete folder to your backup place. If it crash you delete the whole workfolder or at least all LUa, GWC and backup files and try again by taking your saved backup files (or the whole folder). In this way you learn by your misstakes.

Make a small testprogram with the wizzard and before you introduce any noveltiest in your program test it there. I have named my testprogram " walking with the dog" and placed it from my door around the block. My dog loves it and I can test new trick on the same time.

I have 4 working published

j-annie sweden

That's similar with I do too.

I creat a folder I call Buiding Test. And inside that is where I publish the cartridge for test and never touch any picture or sound files that are loaded into that folder).

I usually work with 4 LUA files. I make the changes and I publish&test. If everything is ok, I save for the other 3 files. If it fails, I just load one of the backup LUA and replace the damaged...

I also work with coordinates near home. That way I can play test in the field, without having to go to the cache location many times. Usually I'd only need a couple visits to the real GZ to check how things are, taking photos, Zone testing and most important: inspiration!

Anytime I make multiple changes (especially ones I don't want to have to do twice) - I save the cartridge. Jump to Windows Explorer and copy and paste the code. Windows will automatically rename the new file with the same name - different "copy" number.

Some of my cartridges have had 20+ copies . . and a few times - I have used them too.

I am now getting the message listed above but I am not sure I had the same situation. I have been building the cartridge and then found out in a field test run that the apostraphy in "it's" does nto show up well so I went into Windows Notepad and removed the apostraphy in the two places it was and saved it. Wammo error.

I tried putting it back in and save it but I think notepad saves it differently than the builder.

If I cannot correct the problem can I revert the .gwc or gws files?

Thanx bunches i was almost complete :laughing:

Borky00