Etrex H

Wildie

The short answer is no. Step up to the the HC. The HC supports maps(free maps : ) and comes with a USB cable. Unless you get a screaming deal on the H.

well the deal is its brand new in a box 35 quid they bought it and could not get their heads round the manual.

so it`s a no then

thanks

The Etrex H is a basic model but it works very well for Geocaching. A lot of caches have been found over the years by a lot of people using the basic yellow Etrex. It's very simple to use.

To DL caches from the website/computer you need a serial PC cable. If your computer does not have a serial port then you'll also need a USB to serial adapter cable. Check Ebay for cables. They're cheaper than from Garmin.

the accuracy of the Etrex H will match anything costing 5 times as much in price. And if you don't mind putting in coordinates by hand one at a time, it will do geocaching very well.

But most will advise to spend the 40 more bucks and get the Venture HC which gives you a cable, color, mapping ability if you desire, and a bunch of other goodies.

I loved my eTrex H! I found my first 100 caches with it. It rocked the set for accuracy. I traded it for Fisher Price Little People sets for my daughter (in the spirit of geocaching of course) :anicute: BUT! Everything else published here is true. When the romance fizzles of manually entering caches and printing out cache pages, you will long for a simple USB cable that connects to your computer with ease. Then, when you get that, you will wish you had a paperless caching unit. Fortunately, Magellan just released a cheap new paperless unit (Explorist GC) you should check out. Or save up and nab a Garmin Dakota 10/20.

got a chance to buy a etrex h can you use a pc to upload caches and what not having read on Garmins site the specs of it, they say its not goecache friendly there is a lot of no`s in the spec list

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=144...D=8705#specsTab so do i buy this unit or not?

:)

A reasonable GPS, I own it. But be aware of the rubber-loosening problem that ALL etrex models STILL seem to suffer from.

(read: if you use it outdoors for some time in somewhat hot conditions, you will very likely have to send it back or re-glue the rubber gasket yourself, voiding the warranty)

The posts here are pretty much on track. The eTrex H is a good basic unit and will do fine for getting started.

Remember the eTrex H has NO Maps (only shows tracks and waypoints on the Map screen) and doesn't include hardly any real bells or whistles. As others said the PC cable is a must - manualling entering waypoints on the eTrex H is a major pain.

The Venture HC is a much better unit if your budget allows (eTrex H markets dictates about $80 USD for a new unit - slightly less if you are patient on eBay and the Venture HC about $120 USD new, and somewhere only very slightly less used). (prices for new came from Walmart.com)

The Venture gives you the Dpad Joystick making entering waypoints and such much much easier while in the field. Of course the color screen and support for maps like topos or street maps make it even more useful.

The Venture HC makes a much better intermediate starter GPS if your budget can stand $40 more on the front end investment and it includes a USB cable saving you that additional cost for the lower end H.

Just a little tip when dealing with the eTrex line. The letter codes at the end of the name will tell you a lot about the feature set. H = High sensitivity (all units sold new at reputable retailers should be H units), C = Color Screen, and x = expandable memory.

The HC has a little memory for maps (24Mb) so that is fine for small areas of street maps, and larger areas of Topos. But you'll eat up 24Mb pretty quick. However going to any of the x series units bumps the price up significantly - closer to $170 ($166 actually) for the Legend HCx at Walmart.

Disclaimer - I'm not a fan of Walmart, and avoid them typically but their prices on the eTrex units have been quite good lately. But note that their prices to change regularly (for example a few weeks ago the eTrex H was $70.69, then just a few days later it was $79 something).