Candidate for most overdue log of cache

I found GCA5DF - Cache Some Zzzzs with Take_A_Hike (the fellow who introduced me to geocaching, back in 2003) on June 14, 2003 and never logged it.

Hopping between the PO I thought the area looked familiar (I have an uncanny memory of places) and sure enough the cache had my sig in the log from waaaay back then. Well. I figured I better log it this time.

That's funny. I had a similar experience but, unfortunately, don't get to claim the find. I hiked up to the top of Texas at Guadalupe Mountains State Park (GC4EEF) way back in 2003 with my family. It was my second time to reach the summit but wanted my family to have that experience with me. This time I spent a little bit longer looking around and found an ammo can. I didn't even know what an ammo can was much else why it was there. Just noticed a spiral notebook with some interesting stories inside from other hikers. There were also trinkets in there so I left some stuff and took something (don't even remember what it was) and put my story in the book as well.

Looking at the map, it appears to be a virtual yet there is an ammo can there too. You can still see it in pics that people have taken. Wished I could have claimed it but the virtual requires pics with a GPS...:laughing: HAHAHAHA! Maybe another time....

I found GCA5DF - Cache Some Zzzzs with Take_A_Hike (the fellow who introduced me to geocaching, back in 2003) on June 14, 2003 and never logged it.

Hopping between the PO I thought the area looked familiar (I have an uncanny memory of places) and sure enough the cache had my sig in the log from waaaay back then. Well. I figured I better log it this time.

Anyone want to bet me that his paper log entry in 2003 consisted of more than his username and the date? :laughing:

Well, great story, and I see that you logged it this time.

That's funny. I had a similar experience but, unfortunately, don't get to claim the find. I hiked up to the top of Texas at Guadalupe Mountains State Park (GC4EEF) way back in 2003 with my family. It was my second time to reach the summit but wanted my family to have that experience with me. This time I spent a little bit longer looking around and found an ammo can. I didn't even know what an ammo can was much else why it was there. Just noticed a spiral notebook with some interesting stories inside from other hikers. There were also trinkets in there so I left some stuff and took something (don't even remember what it was) and put my story in the book as well.

Looking at the map, it appears to be a virtual yet there is an ammo can there too. You can still see it in pics that people have taken. Wished I could have claimed it but the virtual requires pics with a GPS...:laughing: HAHAHAHA! Maybe another time....

The Ammo can is just the summit register, placed there by the NPS long before Geocaching existed, I'm sure.

You can see the ammo can by the one guys foot in the picture on this NPS webpage

Also, if you look at this blog, and scroll way down to the picture of the summit monument, just above the pic, it talks about the summit register in a green ammo can next to the monument. Some guy named Steven's blog

The Ammo can is just the summit register, placed there by the NPS long before Geocaching existed, I'm sure.

You can see the ammo can by the one guys foot in the picture on this NPS webpage

Also, if you look at this blog, and scroll way down to the picture of the summit monument, just above the pic, it talks about the summit register in a green ammo can next to the monument. Some guy named Steven's blog

Wow......thanks for the links! I spent nearly two hours reading some of those blogs! Great pics too!

Anyone want to bet me that his paper log entry in 2003 consisted of more than his username and the date? :huh:

Well, great story, and I see that you logged it this time.

I usually write an entry when there's a notebook with a good amount of space available, even to this day.

Looking at my stats, though I see most of my finds are of the micro or small variety, which usually only include a strip of paper to write on. Can't do much there without being a Log Hog.

I did a bunch of caches last summer with one of my friends. We both signed the log, but time got away from me and I never logged any of them on the website. I take it there's no restrictions on late logging on there, then? I would really love to go back and enter those...

You're fine to log them. As long as you found the cache and signed the log. There's always a chance that a cache owner will get weird with you and delete it, but that's rare. If you're worried about that, then make sure to backdate the log to the date you found it (or as close as you can remember), and mention who you found it with and that you signed the physical log and are catching up on your online logs.

I'm behind in my online logging, some of them as far back as more than two years. My husband still has online logs from almost eight years ago that he hasn't done, it's just not important enough to him to sit down and do it.

I found my first cache in 2001. The coordinates were visible to anyone at the time so during that year I just signed my name in the logbook. In 2002 when I opened an account, I went back and logged a few.

A few years ago I revisited the cache to see exactly what I had written. It was a large logbook very well sheltered in a remote location with little traffic, so I was certain that it was still there. When I read the log I wrote, it did not match my recollection of that day, until I realized that I had not initially signed it, as it was just a curiosity at the time. I actually had gone back a few weeks later and signed in when I was showing it to a few people that I had brought up there who were learning how to rappel. All of our names were there, and I only recalled the second visit by reading the log which was a little odd.

Oops. The nature of the summit register was already clarified. But as long as I reserved this space in my hasty reply, I have found such registers on occasion when caching. It is said that there are some in the Sierras that still have John Muir's signature in them.

More on topic, I have had people backdate my caches. And I backdated the first cache that my daughter found by accident. She took me there to show the cache to me (yes, I signed the log) but did not start caching until the following year. But 2003 might be close to a record. Now that I use field notes with my Colorado, its easier to remember all the caches I have found.

Edited by Erickson

Oops. The nature of the summit register was already clarified. But as long as I reserved this space in my hasty reply, I have found such registers on occasion when caching. It is said that there are some in the Sierras that still have John Muir's signature in them.

More on topic, I have had people backdate my caches. And I backdated the first cache that my daughter found by accident. She took me there to show the cache to me (yes, I signed the log) but did not start caching until the following year. But 2003 might be close to a record. Now that I use field notes with my Colorado, its easier to remember all the caches I have found.

I carry around a little red notebook to record my finds, trackable pickups/drops, condition of cache, NFs, etc. When it becomes too tattered or full I'll replace it with a little green or yellow or blue or black notebook (as those are the colors available at the office supply store.)

I'm sure there are a few more caches I've found before and didn't log on GC. Looking back on the finds logged by my friend there were 7 found that day, 3 of which I have since found recently and finally logged. The other 4 are archived. :huh:

I don't think logging on GC was important to back then, so I may have another dozen or two finds back then I never logged. Some places feel like I've been there before, so I'm quite positive I was, if not for the cache there now, than one that did exist at one time.

Wow......thanks for the links! I spent nearly two hours reading some of those blogs! Great pics too!

Yeah, I'm no mountaineer, but I've signed 3 or 4 summit registers in the Adirondacks, so I figured that's what it had to be. They don't put them on the major high traffic peaks there though. This one may not have been an ammo box say 20 years ago, they probably got the idea from Geocaching. :huh: Just speculation on my part though.