Magellan Explorist GC

4Fitzs

I was wondering if anyone has seen the new Explorist GC for sale in Canada yet,,I've been waiting and looking but no sign of it yet.. I know it on the shelves in the US,, hopefully we see it soon :)

Now on sale at Best Buy here in Dartmouth, NS,, for $249.. But I just ordered 1 off the magellan site for $220 using a CAA $30 discount,,, and its seems you also get a 2 year warranty by using your CAA card.. big price Diff.. $67 when you include tax..Good deal

We got ours at Best Buy which was advertising $249 (plus $39 for a 2 year replacment waranty).

I asked about price matching the Magellan site which has it for $199, but another $30 off with CAA membership; bringing it to $169. The clerk checked my CAA membership, took a look at the Magellan site , added shipping of $20 as they include shipping in any price match (though it was actually $25), for a total of $189. (he did not convert U.S to Cdn dollars) He offered it to me at $189 Cdn plus Cdn tax =$214.

The Magellan site does offer a extended warranty for free, but since Best Buy has more of a replacement type warranty he could not offer that. It would be another $39 for a two year replacement warranty. Still a good buy if you add that in.

He offered it to me at $189 Cdn plus Cdn tax =$214.

That's a pretty amazing deal!

I couldn't wait for another retailer to start carrying it, so I 'broke down' and ordered it off of Magellan's Website. S&H is pretty cheap compared to other places I've shopped before.

I will still keep my eye open for retailers that'll get it to share with you guys. Not everyone is comfortable shopping online afterall :)...

Been using the GC model for a while now as part of their insiders program. It is a good GPS to start with. I noticed the picture looked different and asked Magellan, turns out it was a OLD photo and an updated one should be added soon.

Edited by hidnseek

I had enquired about the mapping on the GC in the tech section of the forum here, especially regarding what levels of roads there are for Canada (I'm thinking rural and desolate like where I live). And a cacher was good enough to send me a screen shot of some coordinates I supplied that had some serious boonies roads. I'll be a monkey's uncle! Those roads showed up! So needless to say, the road mapping on the GC is fantastic - even for Canada! ;)

dcede968-f101-4d0e-8e09-c651b24e5e02.jpg

These screen captures are of these coordinates. N 49° 15.727 W 102° 13.455 Check them out on Google maps then go back to the screen cap. I'm impressed!

It's incredible, really. If this thing even had basic topography, I'd have bought it along time ago. The road map is super awesome. I always wondered how it would be in Canada, as our stuff seems to be last updated after Britain, Germany, Luxemburg, Afghanistan . . . :laughing:

I've been impressed with the GC since it was first released, look like a great little unit! B)

It's a pretty impressive road basemap that's included. I was driving down a road in New Brunswick with a bunch of trails and small dirt roads for forestry... they were all on the GC map!

Anyone order this off the Magellan website, using the CAA discount?

I'm looking to buy 1 for my Dad, and I can't seem to get it to register the 15% CAA discount.

Is there some sort of coupon code I should be using?

I had no prolbems and just helped a friend order one last night.. you have to sign on as a member to CAA and also become a member of the magellan site.. you also have to use the fast shipping $25 to get it to Canada.. its around $220 us.. try agian should work

I was wondering if anyone has seen the new Explorist GC for sale in Canada yet,,I've been waiting and looking but no sign of it yet.. I know it on the shelves in the US,, hopefully we see it soon :blink:

Picked one up at London Drugs in the Surrey BC area for $199 !!! Awesome price! Have just started GCing with my wife and we're having a blast! The unit is terriffic!

How's the shipping on the Magellan Website?

I got mine in 4 days and friend got his in 3, we are in Dartmouth NS.. be sure to pay the $25 shipping fee.. seems high but the total cost was only $225 after using the CAA discouunt and also got an extra year warranty

Anyone order this off the Magellan website, using the CAA discount?

I'm looking to buy 1 for my Dad, and I can't seem to get it to register the 15% CAA discount.

Is there some sort of coupon code I should be using?

I just got mine today! Bought it on the 21st and got it on the 24th. I live in Vancouver so that helped. 20 mins from the FedEx depot. I just followed the link for AAA and I was able to transfer over to CAA. Total was $184 US only $6 shipping

I'm a complete newbie to geocaching, ie. I've never used a GPS before. I bought the Magellan Explorist GC today thinking it might be a good entry-level GPS, but am reconsidering. I'm looking to do bring it along for backwoods hikes etc., and most of the comments I'm seeing on the forums seem to indicate the maps are great for off-roading. Anyone have any advice?

(I bought it at BestBuy and have 30 days to return it. I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes....but I really like the design - it seems very user friendly and I'm afraid I'll get attached :laughing:

I'm a complete newbie to geocaching, ie. I've never used a GPS before. I bought the Magellan Explorist GC today thinking it might be a good entry-level GPS, but am reconsidering. I'm looking to do bring it along for backwoods hikes etc., and most of the comments I'm seeing on the forums seem to indicate the maps are great for off-roading. Anyone have any advice?

(I bought it at BestBuy and have 30 days to return it. I figured I'd give it a shot and see how it goes....but I really like the design - it seems very user friendly and I'm afraid I'll get attached :blink:

It has great built in basemaps, street level but not topo maps. If your spending a lot of time deep in the woods you may prefer topo maps so you know where to cross a creek or go over/around a cliff area. It is great for paperless cache both in the rural and urban areas. I have found over 150 caches with it, no major issues at this time. If you just want it for the bread crumb trail in a wooded area you are fine. I don't know how deep backwoods you plan to go.

So I was helping my sis-in-law today get hers (she bought it with her airmiles) up and running. I was messing around with it and it has a very nice interface with a really sharp screen. The way the info is organized and the look of the street maps are great. When it came to the 'run of the mill' gps stuff, like POIs and getting directions to things (all stuff available on the colorado, oregon and dakota gpsr) I was having some real trouble. It was as if the unit was built for geocaching...only. Like the owner wouldn't use it for other things at all. I like the geocaching aspects but I wouldn't want it as my only gpsr!