Delorme in Canada

BlackProphet

I have already posted in the GPS forum but got no response, so I decided to try here.

Any of you canadian cachers using a delorme? If so where did you get it?

I see that GPSCity has the PN-60 but its almost a month and a half till it comes out and its out of my intended price range.

I have not found any other listings of Canadian sellers selling the delorme. Do people not use it up here?

I don't want a Garmin or a Lowrance because of the touch screen. I know they are both good units, I'm just trying to avoid the touchscreen feature for now. If forced, I will go one of those two routes, but I'm doing my due diligence first.

Thanks in advance for the help.

I have already posted in the GPS forum but got no response, so I decided to try here.

I see that GPSCity has the PN-60 but its almost a month and a half till it comes out and its out of my intended price range.

I have not found any other listings of Canadian sellers selling the delorme. Do people not use it up here?

I don't want a Garmin or a Lowrance because of the touch screen. I know they are both good units, I'm just trying to avoid the touchscreen feature for now. If forced, I will go one of those two routes, but I'm doing my due diligence first.

I live close to the border so I ordered mine to the closest US Walmart. I bought a PN-30. So far I like a lot of things about it. Some things I don't, like the lack of a file system. I am still waiting for Canadian aerial maps to become available.

All in all I like it.

I live close to the border so I ordered mine to the closest US Walmart. I bought a PN-30. So far I like a lot of things about it. Some things I don't, like the lack of a file system. I am still waiting for Canadian aerial maps to become available.

All in all I like it.

You should be able to order any Delorme map from worldofmaps.com. They are located in Ottawa.

All in all I like it.

You should be able to order any Delorme map from worldofmaps.com. They are located in Ottawa.

I checked, no aerial imagery.

I am using a Delorme PN-40 and I love it :rolleyes: . There are new North American maps coming in June 2010 which include topo for Canada. Right now the base map is excellent, its got streets (routable), waypoints, POI's, etc. I love the Cache Register program for uploading caches from PQ's - that's a really slick little gadget :rolleyes:. It's accuracy is the best of any GPS we've owned - often 2m when others in the group get 4m. In reality, when it comes to caching, the accuracy is only as good as the GPS that marked the cache waypoint though!

Cons: It doesn't do Wherigo and you can't 'beam'.

I acquired this one at GW in Tennessee last May. We offered to try it out in Canada and give feedback to Delorme who were hoping to get into the Canadian market. We said that they really needed to work on their maps for Canada and lo and behold we're getting new ones this summer! Feel free to stop by our booth at COG SF6, GWVIII, and the Maritime Mega if you want to see what it's like in person.

I am using a Delorme PN-40 and I love it ;) . There are new North American maps coming in June 2010 which include topo for Canada. Right now the base map is excellent, its got streets (routable), waypoints, POI's, etc. I love the Cache Register program for uploading caches from PQ's - that's a really slick little gadget :D. It's accuracy is the best of any GPS we've owned - often 2m when others in the group get 4m. In reality, when it comes to caching, the accuracy is only as good as the GPS that marked the cache waypoint though!

I acquired this one at GW in Tennessee last May. We offered to try it out in Canada and give feedback to Delorme who were hoping to get into the Canadian market. We said that they really needed to work on their maps for Canada and lo and behold we're getting new ones this summer! Feel free to stop by our booth at COG SF6, GWVIII, and the Maritime Mega if you want to see what it's like in person.

As a Noob, care to translate those acronyms, and say where they will be :lol:.

Also I have seen that Amazon.ca has all the delormes coming in june! I have made my decision I am going PN-60. Seems like everything is coming together. Pretty reasonable price too. $399:

http://www.amazon.ca/DeLorme-Earthmate-Han...544&sr=1-86

I am using a Delorme PN-40 and I love it :D . There are new North American maps coming in June 2010 which include topo for Canada. Right now the base map is excellent, its got streets (routable), waypoints, POI's, etc. I love the Cache Register program for uploading caches from PQ's - that's a really slick little gadget :D. It's accuracy is the best of any GPS we've owned - often 2m when others in the group get 4m. In reality, when it comes to caching, the accuracy is only as good as the GPS that marked the cache waypoint though!

As a Noob, care to translate those acronyms, and say where they will be ;).

Also I have seen that Amazon.ca has all the delormes coming in june! I have made my decision I am going PN-60. Seems like everything is coming together. Pretty reasonable price too. $399:

http://www.amazon.ca/DeLorme-Earthmate-Han...544&sr=1-86

:lol: Sorry, and thank you sincerely for the humbling reminder that we post for everyone and not just the acronym literate.

GWVIII = GeoWoodstock - July 3, 2010 in Carnation, WA

COG SF6 = COG Spring Fling 6 - June 12, 2010 near Barrie, ON

Maritime Mega = Maritime GeoBash 2010 - July 10, 2010 Bridgewater, NS

POI - Points of Interest

PQ - Pocket Query

The reason they're coming in June is because their new release of topo maps in June are going to be for all of North America and not just the US.

I dismissed DeLorme because of their lack of Canadian mapping content and because they aren't Mac OS X friendly. HOWEVER. With the advent of the PN-60, and expanded functionality, I perked up my ears. I did a little digging and stumbled across this podcast where Chip from DeLorme gives some very exciting information regarding Canadian Mapping (topo & world-wide arial) and geocaching. Specifically, with the PN-60 you don't need cache register or any other mediator software. Simply copy the .GPX files to the card or internal memory and you've got it made! Limited only to the space on your memory card - which up to 32GB is pretty much limitless I'd say! :) I'm very excited about this PN-60. Depending on what Garmin offers in the upcoming GPS Map62 release, I will probably be going for a PN-60. The wireless/spot stuff is awesome but I live in the prairies so even if I get lost, I can still see my house. ;) hehheeh....... check out the podcast, pretty cool for Canadians!

EDIT: Check out GPScentral.ca's link for some cool screen shots from the PN-60. :laughing:

Edited by geojibby

I dismissed DeLorme because of their lack of Canadian mapping content and because they aren't Mac OS X friendly. HOWEVER. With the advent of the PN-60, and expanded functionality, I perked up my ears. I did a little digging and stumbled across this podcast where Chip from DeLorme gives some very exciting information regarding Canadian Mapping (topo & world-wide arial) and geocaching. Specifically, with the PN-60 you don't need cache register or any other mediator software. Simply copy the .GPX files to the card or internal memory and you've got it made! Limited only to the space on your memory card - which up to 32GB is pretty much limitless I'd say! :D I'm very excited about this PN-60. Depending on what Garmin offers in the upcoming GPS Map62 release, I will probably be going for a PN-60. The wireless/spot stuff is awesome but I live in the prairies so even if I get lost, I can still see my house. :) hehheeh....... check out the podcast, pretty cool for Canadians!

EDIT: Check out GPScentral.ca's link for some cool screen shots from the PN-60. :lol:

Delorme will also have a vendor booth at the Maritime Mega and will be showcasing their new PN-60 and PN-60w (with Spot capability). They will also be having a draw for a GPS at the event.