Texas Benchmark Disk.....

porterhill gang

Without the coordinates we can't help much. If you go to the find a benchmark page and enter the coordinates into the search boxes and then look for the numbers '12TF'. Click on them, then you can compare the 'Offical History'(at the bottom of the benchmark page) with the location of the benchmark. If it does not come up it may be one that fell through the cracks in the system and can't be logged on Geocaching.com.

Hope this helps.

John

It's hard to remember that your primary objective is to drain the swamp, when you're up to your a$$ in alligators.

You found one of the USGS marks that are not in the NGS Database. USGS set many marks in thier mapping projects and a vast majority were never submitted for inclusion on the NGS database.

If anyone is interested in seeing what the USGS conciders its database. click on this LINK but be warned its a huge (for some) pdf file (1.18mb <10 secs @2MB). Not recommended you download unless you have a fast connection.

Here are 2 scans of some USGS Datasheets, note the statement I boxed in on the 1sr amage.

usgs-10.jpg

usgs-20.jpg

Mike

Survey Tech (Retired)

[This message was edited by elcamino on October 27, 2003 at 05:54 AM.]

cute.gifThanks for the responses. This disk is in plain view in front of this cemetery. A co-worker gave me a heads up on this and I went to investigate. The cemetery association has kept this area groomed very nicely and this concrete monument it is on "very visible" from the road. Also, as you can see, the disk is still in very good shape.

I have reviewed the USGS data available for this area, and found station 12 TF 1948 published in both their horizontal and vertical control data listings. The position published by USGS is latitude 31-15-13.88 N, longitude 95-01-40.29 W on the North American Datum of 1927 (NAD 27). Transformed to the North American Datum of 1983 (NAD 83) the coordinates are latitude 31-15-14.53 N, longitude 95-01-41.07 W, which matches very favorably with the values cited by nachsart The prublish the elevation as 313.210 ft relative to the National Geodetic Vertical Datum of 1929 (NGVD 29