How to find caches along specific trails?

Hi,

We're new to Geocaching. Waiting till the snow melts before we actually try it out. We are planning on hiking the entire Tahoe Rim Trail over several small backpacking trips, and would like to Cache along the way. Is there any easy way to look up Cache locations that are along that specific trail?

Thanks

Edited by Brian&Nicole

When I'm hiking a trail I simply run a pocket query for the area. If it's a short backpacking trip you should be able to download all the caches in the area and as you hike you can check your GPS for caches along the way.

I just returned (about 3 hours ago as I write this) from a short, overnight backpacking trip where I did this. When we arrived at our chosen campsite we found there was a cache a few hundred yards away. We also found one the next day a quarter mile from our parking spot.

If it is a longer trip I'm sure you can use a shape file of the trail and Google Earth to find caches along the route but for most backpacking trips of a day, or two or three, a simple pocket query should do the job.

Of course you need to be a premium member to run a pocket query.

Edited by briansnat