How to FTF

DorkX2

OK, I posted a new cache today, and within 20 minutes, someone was here looking for it, and within 30 minutes it was found. So, for all of you FTF'ers - are you sitting at home hitting F5 on your PC's waiting for a new cache to arrive, or, is there a special way to get notified of new caches right away so that you can attempt an FTF?

Thanks!

One local cacher was out on a trail, using his iPhone (or similar device) and was being notified as the other caches along the trail were being published. He found it quite an amusing experience, particularly when an FTF-hound who worked nearby showed up and was surprised to see the caches were already being found.

I've got my FTF and any I collect from now on are simply finds of opportunity. I'd rather people who are still trying to get an FTF have a chance than I hog them all.

Edited by DragonsWest

From the "Your Profile" page, right hand column, section titled "Premium Features" select "Set-uo Notifications". Can you get your email sent to your cell?

Following the directions HERE, I do not see a "Publish Listing" choice in the drop down. Am I missing something?

You should get a notice when a new cache of each selected type is published.

From the "Your Profile" page, right hand column, section titled "Premium Features" select "Set-uo Notifications". Can you get your email sent to your cell?

Following the directions HERE, I do not see a "Publish Listing" choice in the drop down. Am I missing something?

You should get a notice when a new cache of each selected type is published.

Ok, thanks. I was wondering about that. The way the instructions are worded, it sounded like there was a one choice for everything. Thanks for the help, Im going to set mine up now.

One local cacher was out on a trail, using his iPhone (or similar device) and was being notified as the other caches along the trail were being published. He found it quite an amusing experience, particularly when an FTF-hound who worked nearby showed up and was surprised to see the caches were already being found.

I've got my FTF and any I collect from now on are simply finds of opportunity. I'd rather people who are still trying to get an FTF have a chance than I hog them all.

ROFL... here, we have people who drive 20 miles and wander into neighborhoods they don't know at all in the middle of the night in order to be the one to write a special little note about being FTF ... and how late they had to stay up, etc. :P

I got my FTF by accident. I had downloaded a few caches in the morning to do just in case my son and I had time after we did a Home Depot kids workshop later on that Saturday morning. I did not notice that one of them was brand new. We went to the workshop and build a little wagon then he wanted to play on the tractors so we did that for a while and then bought a few items. Then once we got to the car I asked him if he wanted to try to find a geocache with me and he said yes.

So I turn on my GPSr and search for the closest cache which was just a few miles away. Then on the way we see an ice cream stand so I stop and we get ice cream then continue on our way, park near the cache, take a short hike and find the cache. At that point I notice that the log book is completely blank and there is a space for FTF with is also blank.

Excitedly I tell my son that we are the first to find the cache but he is not so excite because the guy that set up this cache left the container empty. :) So I drop a short screw driver that I had just bought at Home Depot and sign the log. I was happy to get the FTF but thought it was kind of sucky that other people I have read about get special geocoins or items for their FTF and I got nothing and still left an item. :) Then the cache owner did not even list me on the cache page with a congrats for the FTF. Oh well, I still got it and he can not take that away from me! :)

But it was fun to later read about all the people that found it later that day and were hoping to get the FTF. I was laughing thinking "Guys we did a kids workshop at Home Depot and stopped for ice cream! If you can not be faster than a father with a 4 year old you do not deserve a FTF!". ;)