New,on a budget - GPS ?

kpflounder

I have been geocaching for less than a week, and already have friends hooked, as well. Both our families are on serious budgets (sign of the times) and can't afford premium or new systems at the moment.

I use the AT&T tilt and basic gps to cache. It is all I have for now.

It seems that certain times, the satellite updates are really much slower! Are there peak times we should avoid caching? At times, the GPS gets me exactly to the spot. Others, no so much. I have read gps will get you within 20 feet, then use your head and eyes. (wish I had read that yesterday!!!)

So far, we are only doing urban caches. They are close to us, one was walking distance! I hope to be up to speed in less than 3 weeks. Have a herp camping trip, and thought we could cache and hike the park. Have a nature class in 2 weeks, to practice.

How do I find caches on trails? OR a cache requiring hiking? I need to learn to add a waypoint to my program. I would love to go with an experienced cacher in my area, to see and learn hands on. How do I find someone near me who does trails? BTW - left mints in my first find, not knowing any better. So sorry!

I have been geocaching for less than a week, and already have friends hooked, as well. Both our families are on serious budgets (sign of the times) and can't afford premium or new systems at the moment.

I use the AT&T tilt and basic gps to cache. It is all I have for now.

It seems that certain times, the satellite updates are really much slower! Are there peak times we should avoid caching? At times, the GPS gets me exactly to the spot. Others, no so much. I have read gps will get you within 20 feet, then use your head and eyes. (wish I had read that yesterday!!!)

So far, we are only doing urban caches. They are close to us, one was walking distance! I hope to be up to speed in less than 3 weeks. Have a herp camping trip, and thought we could cache and hike the park. Have a nature class in 2 weeks, to practice.

How do I find caches on trails? OR a cache requiring hiking? I need to learn to add a waypoint to my program. I would love to go with an experienced cacher in my area, to see and learn hands on. How do I find someone near me who does trails? BTW - left mints in my first find, not knowing any better. So sorry!

im pretty new to this myself but i know terrain like hills and tree cover cloudy days or stuctures all mess with gps signal hope this helps

Edited by cammengaman

...just to throw out another idea, have you considered buying a good used GPSr? There are almost always people who upgrade to fancier receivers and then sell their older (but still good) ones.

I've got a jar on my desk at home. Everytime I find money (in the washer, in my son's pockets, at the bottom of my purse, around the house, etc.) I throw it in the jar. I don't know why, but change just seems to breed around here. (Wish it was $100 bills instead of quarters!) We usually save it all year and then use it when we're on vacation. You could set up your own jar, but make it the "saving for a gps" jar. Every little bit helps!

i just got a Delorme PN-30 for $160 on ebay. I had to wait about a month to get one for that price (I bid on every one that came up, but didn't win for a long while).

Figure out your budget and stick with it. Watch ebay and craigslist and somehing will come up eventually.... Also, keep an eye on the 'for sale' section of the forums.

We bought an etrex venture HC on amazon, it was a better price new than available on eBay. I thought used prices on eBay were really close to the new prices on discount site like Amazon, so it wasn't worth it - plus shipping was fast and free. We paid about $120, then they dropped the price, so it's probably just over $100 now. We sold some old video games on ebay to pay for it!

good luck sounds like you all will be having fun.