Download Individual Listings to GPX as Premium Member

CaryHaven

I'm a little confused by the description of this perk in premium membership. I know I can download coordinates to my lower-end GPS now. I also have a free app to convert LOC files to GPX files on my laptop which I then can send to my GPS in bulk. But this individual listing to GPX - it says you can download the entire page to my GPS if I'm reading it right? Is that correct? Like, with the hints, last found, etc etc whole thing? I'm just wondering if this is possible b/c it sure would make life easier.

Im still new at this but I am pretty sure before you are a premium member you can only download LOC files, the GPX files contain all the details about the cache like hints and I think the last 5 logs (correct me if I am wrong someone). It doesn't work on all GPSr's but the new fangled ones that have built in geocaching abilities can relay the information.

That's correct. The gpx format contains the entire listing plus the last 5 logs. Converting an loc to gpx doesn't fix the fact that your original loc download didn't have anything but the coordinates attached.

Having a PM account lets you bulk download caches by gpx and you can also download them one at a time right from the listing or the cache search page. That's helpful for newly published caches that you want to add to your GSAK file or just directly to your GPSr. Having the gpx file in a reader in the field means you never have to print out a cache listing again. Some of the new GPSr's will view the cache description info in the GPS, while the rest of us use things like a Palm Pilot to store thousands of cache listings in our shirt pocket for quick reference on the go.

Yeah, you'd think they'd try to sell that point a little harder as they would have many more PM members buying in to support the site if they understood all the benefits they are getting.

Maybe you can help me with this or direct me to who can - I just upgraded membership and am now able to directly open gpx files with my app on the laptop. Everything looks fine there - the hints, the last few logs, ,etc. When I try to transfer to my Garmin (Venture HC) it looks the same as usual (as previous I mean - no extra info). I don't know if there's a place to look for the extra info or if it might not work on my Garmin. Thanks in advance. :D

Edited by CaryHaven

The venture hc is not one of the units that supports paperless caching. To get all the cache page info to show on the unit, you would need a Garmin Colorado, Dakota, Oregon, Any of the Delorme Models, Any of the new Lowrance Endura models, or some of the magellan models.

Having said that, you can get an inexpensive PDA and download the cachemate program and load all the cache info to the pda to use in combination with your venture hc.