RESET benchmark?

gaviNator

Yes, a reset BM replaces to existing one. E 146 RESET is new and E 146 is the old one.

Now, that said, it could be the both are still in existance. Often a RESET mark is established because the existing mark is in danger of being destroyed now or in the future or its in a high risk area that could affect its longevity.

In my area I know of several marks that were reset by NGS in 1972 but the originals are still there. I think the reason they reset them was the nature of the setting, one close to RR could easily be destroyed, another is in a small old bridge. I also worked for the MDOT and often reset these marks myself. There are several I know of that were expected to be destroyed by construction but later changes to plans did not.

So, there is no one answer but a RESET mark usually means the original is lost or inaccessible.

Is a RESET always stamped that way on the disk?

I found a benchmark, and was in the process of logging a find, when I realized that there was a reset benchmark at the same location in the database.

I didn't see RESET on the disk, but I'm not certain it wasn't there.

(The described location of these two disks were within a foot of each other on a culvert, so it is unlikely that both were present and I just didn't see the other.)

I plan to return next week to convince myself that RESET is not on the disk...

but if it isn't, could it still be the reset mark?

RESET is supposed to be stamped on the disk per NGS guidelines. That is the only way to ID the new mark. Can it be possible that you find one that does not have it, sure. Since this work is often done by local officals and private sector personell, there can be anomalies.