Garmin Nuvi to reach a Cache site

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi GPS units. I want to use one to load my Geocaches into, and have it give me turn by turn directions to the approximate location (on the road) where the cache is located. I have a Colorado 300 now that I will actually use to find the cache once parked. My question is, will the Nuvi do this? And secondly, what one would be best suited for it? Little confused about these driving GPS units. Looking at the 255W, trying to stay under $200.

Yes, the 255W will do what you want. You can load the caches with full paperless info. Choose the cache and push "GO", and it will street route you to the cache location. The way most load caches is with a macro on GSAK and then use the Garmin POI loader program. I like to just update the POI file on an SD card. That way, I just move the SD to my computer to put a new file on the card.

The 255W is a good bargain. It has the latest receiver chip and wide screen and full speech. It does not have blue tooth for hands free phone, and no FM transmitter to your car's radio.

You can add the power cable with the built-in FM receiver for traffic warnings. If you buy it with the traffic receiver, it is the 255WT.

The refurbished 255W can be found for 100 to 110. I got a new 255WT for $130 in Dec.

I'm looking at the Garmin Nuvi GPS units. I want to use one to load my Geocaches into, and have it give me turn by turn directions to the approximate location (on the road) where the cache is located. I have a Colorado 300 now that I will actually use to find the cache once parked. My question is, will the Nuvi do this? And secondly, what one would be best suited for it? Little confused about these driving GPS units. Looking at the 255W, trying to stay under $200.
Just about any standalone automotive GPS can be loaded with custom POI information -- in this case, geocaches. I use my old TomTom GO720 and load it up with a big POI file from GSAK right after I use GSAK to load my Dakota 20. The only GPS units that are usually useless in this regard are the ones that come integrated into the vehicle itself. [I still can't figure out why anyone would pay between $1000 and $1500 for a nav option that, if it can be updated at all, costs a fortune for a new map set, and usually can't be bulk loaded with custom POI info. Oh wait -- yeah, I know -- because they "look cool" (sigh). I'd much rather have the functionality of a decent standalone than poor functionality and the looks of the bridge of the Enterprise, thanks.]

You'll also find that if you plan LONG cache runs, it's nice to look at the map and set up an itinerary on your automotive GPS. Tell it to take you to the whole list.

So grab yourself a Garmin or TomTom or whatever that has the other features that you'd really use for auto navigation (e.g., spoken street names for turn-by-turn directions, or whatever), and enjoy! Just be aware that the automotive unit has limitations when it comes to caches. It will often put you just as close as it can to a cache -- and that might mean trying to park you on an interstate highway bridge to locate the cache underneath. They're often clueless about large mall parking lots and the like, so when you get close, navigating around them will be a seat-of-the-pants operation. And some don't like destinations that are very long way from roads. In some of those cases, you'll do a bit better to set your own waypoint for a cache rather than letting the gc.com coordinates dictate where the GPS takes you.

Edited by ecanderson

I do it all of the time with my Nuvi and my Street Pilot both. The only downside I have ran into is it will try and get you as close to the cache as it can and then tell you to turn where there is no road. One time mine took me into a subdivision and then wanted me to go through somebody's yard. Another time it wanted me to turn right off a 4 lane and go up over a bank. What I do now is look at the area with itouch maps aerial view and find what looks like a good place to park, and get the coordinates from itouch.

Yes, the 255W will do what you want. You can load the caches with full paperless info. Choose the cache and push "GO", and it will street route you to the cache location. The way most load caches is with a macro on GSAK and then use the Garmin POI loader program. I like to just update the POI file on an SD card. That way, I just move the SD to my computer to put a new file on the card.

I have a 255W, I asked the question here in the Forums and over at GSAK about putting caches on the 255W so I could drive to the cache area. POI Loader came up a lot in the answers. However, Clyde from GSAK advised me that I could save any subset on my screen in GSAK as a Garmin file and then transfer that file to an SD card, which then could be loaded into the 255w. I tried and tested this 'precedure' and it works. Longer cache names are cut off...which I don't care about or care to learn how not to have the names cut off... I didn't really pay attention to anything else other than the "checkered flag, the road and the turn by turn directions. I cache with a PN-40, so I have all cache info I need once I arrive near GZ.

I didn't go the POI Loader route, I didn't want to mess with another program. GSAK had what I needed in one package.

Good Luck!