Structual Earthcache

TeacherMike

Question on the structural Earthcache classification. What deems an Earthcache to be considered structural? The reason I ask is there is a lot of inconsistencies as to ECs listed this way. The main example being Artisan Wells. I have seen them listed three ways, Hydrologic Feature which makes sense, Other is another one, and then a few have been structural. Then I have seen some buildings and such listed as structural but also historical. If someone could clear this up for me that woudl be great.

Question on the structural Earthcache classification. What deems an Earthcache to be considered structural? The reason I ask is there is a lot of inconsistencies as to ECs listed this way. The main example being Artisan Wells. I have seen them listed three ways, Hydrologic Feature which makes sense, Other is another one, and then a few have been structural. Then I have seen some buildings and such listed as structural but also historical. If someone could clear this up for me that woudl be great.

For me a structural feature would be a fault, fracture, folded strata or the like. If an earthcache about an artesian well focusses for example on a syncline (folded strata) and this is visible somehow then I would possible classify it as such, otherwise as hydrological feature.

Mrs. terratin

As a geologist, I have always assumed that a "structural" EC was some kind of feature that geologists call a geologic structure. An artesian well wouldn't qualify. Seems odd to me that one of those would be included there. Geologic structures include folds, faults, ripple marks, cross-bedding, rain-drop imprints, and many other things.

I would not put an artesian well as a 'structural feature'. However, in the past people self designated their type of EarthCache and may be though that it fell into that category.

The current system does not allow for you to classify your EarthCache...and so the field is blank in the www.earthcache.org listings.

The current system does not allow for you to classify your EarthCache...and so the field is blank in the www.earthcache.org listings.

I thought they were getting classified before getting listed in the Earthcache.org datebase by someone. I didn't relzie with the new system that they were no longer getting classified.

I thought they were getting classified before getting listed in the Earthcache.org datebase by someone. I didn't relzie with the new system that they were no longer getting classified.

The new system says "The listing on this site will be updated each month. At that time your EarthCache will be assigned a classification (river feature , fossil site, mineral site etc)." So I think they will get classified, but perhaps not at the time they are entered into the database, but on some other schedule?