Oregon shuts down when entering a zone

Karategurus

I have quite a frustrating problem.

In my Wherigo you have to do some sports. One of the tasks is running some laps on a sports field.

To force the player to go the full distance I created 5 zones on the track.

The Wherigo runs fine in PPC and openWIG, but the Colorado randomly crashes when entering zones. There is no system behind the crashes besides it just happens when you enter a zone.

There is a chance that you will be able to run 2 laps without any problem. But it can even crash at the first checkpoint.

The start zone does all the "hard work". The checkzones just set a variable to true, disable the last zone and enable the next one.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

I have quite a frustrating problem.

In my Wherigo you have to do some sports. One of the tasks is running some laps on a sports field.

To force the player to go the full distance I created 5 zones on the track.

The Wherigo runs fine in PPC and openWIG, but the Colorado randomly crashes when entering zones. There is no system behind the crashes besides it just happens when you enter a zone.

There is a chance that you will be able to run 2 laps without any problem. But it can even crash at the first checkpoint.

The start zone does all the "hard work". The checkzones just set a variable to true, disable the last zone and enable the next one.

Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

A guess: Are the zones quite small and the GPS is flipping in/out of the zone due to drift??

Is the problem with a CO or an OR? You mention both.

I had a problem which seemed to be caused by trying to show a message when one was already displayed. I can;t be certain that's what it was, but I have (I think) worked around it by using an on-exit command to display the main Wherigo screen.

I suggest giving that a go. I'd be interested to know if it actually helps too.

Paul.

Is the problem with a CO or an OR? You mention both.

The fingers wrote other things than the head wanted to. Its an Oregon I'm testing with.

The zones are about 20 meter long and 10 meters wide. But i dont think that this is the problem. The first thing I do is deactivate the zones, so the drift wouldn't be a problem.

I had a problem which seemed to be caused by trying to show a message when one was already displayed.

I show the elapsed time within a message box while running. Entering the checkpoints doesn't do anything with messages. Only if you enter the endzone you get a another box that informs you that you've finished.

Unfortunately it crashes in those checkpoint zones too. I can only imagine, that showing the elapsed time kills the Oregon.

What really disturbs me is that it happens randomly. You could run the whole cartridge without problems or kill the Oregon at every checkpoint.

i have a wild theory: the drift might cause another run of OnEnter before the first one finishes, and before the zone is deactivated (because that can take a relatively long time).

two threads would try to modify the same lua environment, and in all likelihood crash each other.

somebody care to try this?

Here is what caused the problems:

I show a map within a messagebox, so the player knows where to go. This messagebox is part of an item where you choose the different running taks. If you close this messagebox everything works like a charm if you don't, there is this slightly chance that the oregon will crash when entering a zone.

Interesting is, that a message shown by a timer -in my case the one that shows the elapsed time- doesn't cause any problems.

As a workarround i force the player to close the messagebox and let him choose the point in the location tab. It wold be nice to show the location screen directly but this is a non working feature.

I had a similar issue with a cartridge running on a Nuvi (550). I built this cart over a year ago and it worked fine on a PPC, Colorado (after some tweaking) and Oregon. Then I bought the Nuvi and tried the cart on it for grins. The cartridge would shut down as soon as I entered the first zone. I narrowed it down to a command to display a certain screen. When I removed that script (let the player navigate to the screen on their own), it worked fine. Strange days indeed....

I had a similar issue with a cartridge running on a Nuvi (550). I built this cart over a year ago and it worked fine on a PPC, Colorado (after some tweaking) and Oregon. Then I bought the Nuvi and tried the cart on it for grins. The cartridge would shut down as soon as I entered the first zone. I narrowed it down to a command to display a certain screen. When I removed that script (let the player navigate to the screen on their own), it worked fine. Strange days indeed....

I had that same issue with displaying an item on the 500 - Like you, I just learned to avoid that sort of thing...