Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator and Vista or Linux?

I just ordered a "Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator" from Amazon - will have it in 5 days.

Will I be able to connect it to a computer with Vista operating system or Linux (eeebuntu) and the computer will recognize it?

Can I just use a typical camera USB cable?

Will I be able to download free software so I can get the computer to download data to the GPS?

If yes, what software should I download? Where do I find it?

I am only looking to download the data to find caches. I wasn't planning to download maps on to this GPS. (I have an old Garmin Street Pilot for that purpose...)

Many thanks for helping this newbie!

D'Andy

I just ordered a "Garmin eTrex H Handheld GPS Navigator" from Amazon - will have it in 5 days.

Will I be able to connect it to a computer with Vista operating system or Linux (eeebuntu) and the computer will recognize it?

Will I be able to download free software so I can get the computer to download data to the GPS?

I am only looking to download the data to find caches. I wasn't planning to download maps on to this GPS. (I have an old Garmin Street Pilot for that purpose...)

D'Andy

My garmin works with xp, vista and windows 7 but I haven't been able to make it work with linux.

google nRoute as this was a free program that garmin used to have available on their website for free, now they don't list it anymore.

I have the 60hcx and use a normal usb cable (it came with my mp3 player)

Edited by CoyoteBC

D'Andy

I hope you didn't pay much for that - there are so many better units, very reasonably priced, but the eTrex H is a real budget unit.

According to the Garmin site, it's a serial connection so you can't use a usb cable unless you do some adaptation, and even then it's going to be painfully slow.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8705

Why would you choose the eTrex H and not something like this instead?

http://www.drivengps.com/Handheld/GARMIN-E...E-p8339608.html

The Venture HC is dated, too, but at least it has USB and 24 megs of memory, as well as a Geocaching mode. A lot of bang for the buck.

The basic eTrex has no Geocaching mode and I can't even find out how much memory it has.

Have you seen a screen shot of the "map" view?

sc-03-lg.jpg

I'd cancel the order from Amazon, if I was you.

Edited by Dr Jeckyl and Mr Hide

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?pID=8705

Why would you choose the eTrex H and not something like this instead?

http://www.drivengps.com/Handheld/GARMIN-E...E-p8339608.html

The Venture HC is dated, too, but at least it has USB and 24 megs of memory, as well as a Geocaching mode. A lot of bang for the buck.

The basic eTrex has no Geocaching mode and I can't even find out how much memory it has.

Have you seen a screen shot of the "map" view?

sc-03-lg.jpg

I'd cancel the order from Amazon, if I was you.

I was afraid I would get GPS envy before hitting the trail! The reason I chose the eTrex H was for price and good reviews. I assumed it had a USB port. I really want to geocache but unemployment is happening next month.... can't spend much. I know after the purchase, the cost to geocaching drops significantl.

I would agree in that the Venture HC is the minimum you want to go. I have a 60CSX, 2 Legend HCX's, and a Venture HC. All three are great units that acquire satellite reception well and will hold them even when in my pocket.

You will like the ability to load from the website or another program like GSAK via the usb cable. Good luck in your search for one. You might want to look at your local Craiglist listings. I found my Legends on there for $100.00 each.

:laughing:;) don't worry too much what that last poster said. The etrex H is a fine unit for geocaching. I have found several hundred with mine. The serial port cord you speak of goes about 12 bucks on ebay. You'll need to use a plugin program(free download from garmin) or there is a program I use called Easygps that I can download multiple caches at a time with. The etrex H is a simple unit with few features but very adequate. And the H stands for high sensitivity, which is huge. Look up a serial port cord download some caches take a few notes and hit the trail. If you have any questions drop me an e-mail.. pete

I would agree in that the Venture HC is the minimum you want to go. I have a 60CSX, 2 Legend HCX's, and a Venture HC. All three are great units that acquire satellite reception well and will hold them even when in my pocket.

You will like the ability to load from the website or another program like GSAK via the usb cable. Good luck in your search for one. You might want to look at your local Craiglist listings. I found my Legends on there for $100.00 each.

I found a refurbished Venture for $108 with shipping and ordered it. Eeck! More than I wanted to spend... hope the husband gets hooked with me or I will be in trouble.

Edited by DandyDear711

I found a refurbished Venture for $108 with shipping and ordered it. Eeck! More than I wanted to spend... hope the husband gets hooked with me or I will be in trouble.

Very good choice!

That will be much more enjoyable to use, and your husband will be more likely to be hooked too.

When I brought my first eTrex Legend home I had no idea my wife would catch the fever the same way I did, but she saw the potential in it quite quickly.

I had a few Garmin 12XLs I used to keep around to lend to people I thought might want to cache, but they never really got the bug until I lent out colour units with actual maps in them. I got rid of the 12XLs after nobody wanted them. They went to a geologist neighbour of mine who brought them out to Burkina Fasso, for mining use.

And the eTrex H are very similar to the 12s.