maps that give me geocaching coordinates

SuperKrypto

If you use Google Earth (which is also what I use, and it's very precise), I'd recommend becoming a premium user of Groundspeak. It's only $30 for a year, and you'll get 500 views per day (the number of times the map will refresh once you click zoom in, zoom out, or pan any distance at all) as opposed to 25 per day for users with a free membership. Just a thought.

hi, is there an online satellite photo map that i can zoom in on a landmark or house and get GPS type coordinates? - terraserver can give me latitude and longitude but it's not in the same format as the geocaching website

Google Maps has introduced a new feature (still in beta) that will show the latitude and longitude in a tooltip whenever the cursor is over a map. To try it, go to a Google Maps map, then click the "New!" item at the top of the map (to the right of "My Profile"). In the window that pops up, scroll down and enable "LatLng Tooltip." Seems to work well.

--Larry

Edited by larryc43230

thanks everyone - i used the google maps beta program because it was quicker to get to than google earth which i haven't installed - it's really precise and just what i was looking for - although now, how do i change those lats and longs into geocaching gps coordinates? - ie: long -122.43684 lat 37.80474 into gps style like N 36° 17.520 W 115° 17.514

regular google maps works too. right click anywhere on the map and select "what's here?". the search textbox will then be updated to show the coordinates of this location. it's gonna be in decimal format though, so if you need DDD MM.MMM format coordinates, you're gonna have to convert it.

edit:

although now, how do i change those lats and longs into geocaching gps coordinates? - ie: long -122.43684 lat 37.80474 into gps style like N 36° 17.520 W 115° 17.514

if you need them for a cache listing, switch the textbox to decimal degrees and then you can enter them directly. otherwise i'm sure there's plenty of converters online, or do it manually: from -122.43684 take the decimal part off, that's .43684, and multiply by 60, yielding 26.2104. that's your minutes, giving you W 122° 26.2104'. (negative longitude is west, positive is east - positive latitude is north, negative is south)

Edited by dfx