Cheapest GPS device?

Rriku113

A used one.

Short of that, the Garmin eTrex "H" can be had for around $79 new. As accurate as any unit out there. But it is B&W and has a serial computer connection.

I would not buy less than the Garmin Venture ($125). Color screen, Geocaching mode, some map memory, USB connections, long battery life, rugged.

They don't have a lot of fans, but the Magellan Triton 400 lists all of the features that most of the popular GPSr's here list (except touchscreen), and can be bought brand new on Ebay for $100. I personally went with a DeLorme PN-30 ($150 shipped on Ebay) based on feedback from the folks here. The best thing I can tell you is read all you can. There are TONS of reviews on geocaching.com, made by people who use them for caching. That, and the community here is very helpful.

EDIT because I just thought of this: The Geomate Jr. is an extremely simple, designed for kids GPSr that was made just for geocaching. They retail for $70, give or take, and a $25 update kit will make keep you current with cache listings. I haven't played with one, but almost everyone that has seems to love them. Search for geomate, and you should find lots of info.

Later!

Edited by DazDnFamily

I was going to reply, but StarBrand already said everything I was going to say :rolleyes:

Check the Garage Sale forums. I notice that people seem to have some trouble selling used Venture HC, so that might translate into a good deal for you.

Edit : Guess I do have a little more to add...

The Legend H is a newer model. The main difference with the Venture HC : it can store more waypoints, has a larger LCD, but does not have color. Both are USB. Here's Garmin's page comparing the two.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/compare.do?cID=...areProduct=8707

Edited by Chrysalides

The eTrex H is the cheapest unit you can buy new, but if you want computer connectivity it can run you as much as another $60. The Garmin Venture H and Legend H are about $120 but they are readily connectable to computers.

You can get used units for as little as $20 or $30, but be careful. Some of these used units are junk, but there are some real gems available used.

What type of phone do you have? If you already have a smart phone, there are geocaching apps available for some of the most common ones. There's also the Trimble geocaching application that will work on some regular phones, it depends on your phone model and the carrier.

There are arguments again using phones, especially regarding ruggedness and water resistance (handheld gps' are much more durable). But, if you already have a compatible cell phone, it could be a very low cost way to get started.